Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Inspired for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sande cross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Inspired for sale Reply with quote

Hello all. My name is Sande Cross. I purchased a inspired Usonian. Charles Harbauer was a very short lived apprentice in the 20's so I have been informed. Hazel Jacoby Harbauer a prominent artist from Toledo, Ohio built this home for them selves. I tried for 10 plus years to buy and I began doing alot of research and repairs. Now due to relocating sadly I have been trying to sell. Here in Temperance Michigan I have had a very hard time trying to sell because people (most) are still stuck in the traditional style ranch. This is nestled on 6.5 acres and I am only asking $299.900. Would anyone have any advise on how to sell to one that appricates this style of home. It is basically in excellent condition. I am desperate and need to sell as my new job is waiting. 734-854-2287[/i]
Collinst3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought is to list your home with one of several national realtors who specialize in Modern Homes all across the country. Here are a few websites>

http://www.architectureforsale.com/listings-notable.php

http://www.azarchitecture.com

Also, would love to see pictures of your place.
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collinst3 wrote:
One thought is to list your home with one of several national realtors who specialize in Modern Homes all across the country. Here are a few websites>

http://www.architectureforsale.com/listings-notable.php

http://www.azarchitecture.com

Also, would love to see pictures of your place.

That is a fine idea, however the problem is that those two listings have as strong prescence on the west coast and limited prescence in the Midwest.

I would suggest looking for a real estate broker with expertise in selling modern and architect designed real estate in your area. You need someone that has the expertise and the energy to do the job the right way. You need to be an active participant in marketing your property.

Suggestions for what you personally may wish to do:

1. Set up the furniture so that it works with the architecture. On architect designed houses the overall image or impression is enhanced greatly if the furniture works with the architecture to create a cohesive whole. Too have people try to market modern architecture with traditional furniture placement strategies that fight the architecture and make the space look awkward and overpowered by the architecture.

2. The typical person should get rid of half of their stuff in the living room. A room stuffed to the max with furniture looks smaller and unattractive.

3. Hire someone with a 35 mm camera and a perspective control lens for a few hundred bucks to take some decent photographs with the proper exterior and interior lighting. The real estate broker photos are generally awful and not inspiring.

4. Create a well designed handout without your quality photographs. The typical broker handouts are awful.

5. Determine what the facts are that can help sell your property and work with the broker on the message.

(My wife and purchased Frank Lloyd Wright's Davenport House after it sat for 6 months. It did not sell for 6 months because of absolutely awful marketing and salesmanship by real estate brokers. Significant advantages to buying the house were not communicated and the house was poorly presented.)

6. Run ads in the Toledo Chapter, Southeast Michigan Chapter, Michigan State Level Chapter publications of the American Institute of Architects. Ads in these local and state level publications are dirt cheap and will enable you to gert the word out in the architect community and their networks.

7. If there is a local equivalent to Crain's Chicago Business, that is a cost effective place to run a real estate ad for a unique property.

8. If need be, rent out the house so you can move for the new job and buy some time.

Good luck.
Greg Coatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTP://WWW.Realtor.Com/Prop/1054271236/
Greg Coatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for problems with the above link. Once you have entered the site and it asks for a MLS number, type in 3410563. That should take you to the listing for this home.
Collinst3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

You definitely need better, brighter pictures. I am sure these do not do your home justice.
rgrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Collinst3 and pharding, you need better, more descriptive pictures. I have been trolling through craigslist.com for real estate, though not in Toledo. It's amazing how bad the photographs usually are. More often than not, a good shot of a toilet (lid up) is included to, what?, prove they have indoor plumbing? Or there will be a collection of furniture and personal belongings against a backdrop of plasterboard. What should be shown are photos of the interiors that give a good idea of the volume of the rooms, not the personal contents or plumbing. Craigslist may not be the best place to offer your house, but it's free.
Sande Crosss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Reply with quote

Thank you all for your in put. I am embarressed by those photos. The front entry photo was taken when I purchased several years ago. I have removed the covered entry and added a beautiful leaded glass door. I also agree about the inside I have 5 sets of 10ft tall Mahogany doors that overlook the private fenced back yard. I also have Braizlan Cherry floors, redwood interior and exterior cedar ceilings. Custom hand carved mahogany panels from china cabinetry/ tile shower and floors in bathroom all new . The copy in Realtor.com is not correct. All of this will be disscussed tomorrow with my realtor. I have landscaped all around the house and added extensive stamped patio and sidewalks. What you have seen is not even close to this masterpiece. I will have it taken care of. Again thank you for your support and Paul thank you for personally contacting me. Sincerely & Respectfully Sande Cross
Collinst3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to link us to your updated pictures when you get them. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning. Yes I have put the home in Craigslist ( Ann Arbor). My home is in a perfect location between both major highways which makes it minutes to Ann Arbor, Detroit and even Perrysburg Ohio. The pool I had installed is heated 18x40 10ft deep for safty and handicap accessable. Only 5 minutes to local stores and post office a perfect private treasure. Have a great day.

Sande Cross
sande cross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Inspired for sale Reply with quote

Hello all I will be having a open house Sunday Febuary 26th from 12-6 if any one would like to attend. I can be contacted at 734-854-2287 for directions. I hope to have the opportunity of meeting some of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: