Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Lamberson House Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanksgiving 2014, fresh snow:

peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benches originally designed (but never built) for our terrace at Lamberson have been completed. They extend the line of living room benches through the mitered glass corner onto the terrace. Thanks Nick! https://www.houzz.com/pro/nick-lippert/nick-lippert-furniture-interiors

The next step is to have the cushions made.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Is that cedar? How are you finishing/sealing the wood?
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is Western red cedar. Clear heart redwood would have cost thousands more, and at least from my research, cedar has similar longevity, and is straighter, harder, and a little stronger structurally.

It has one coat of linseed oil, plus one coat of Sherman Williams transparent heart redwood oil stain.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great peter! I like the image of the bench continuing "through" the glass. It looks as if the feet of the bench bases are vertically adjustable....to compensate for drainage slope of concrete or future natural movement of the wood?
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.

Yes, they are adjustable in order to level. (The terrace floor slopes away from that wall for drainage). But mainly I didn't want the wood to touch the concrete in order to prevent rotting and allow water to pass through. The notching of the legs (not present on the inside or on Wright's drawing) is also for that reason as well as to keep leaves and spiders, snow and ice from hanging out under there. I'm still not sure whether I'll leave them outside all year long or not, but I modified the design to allow for that possibility.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subtle changes make sense, and will increase the life of the piece.
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawings from Taliesin:

Mod mom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking bench!

Are your cushions made locally or do you have an online site that you use and would recommend? (I still haven't dealt with cushions).
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cushions will be made and upholstered in Chicago by Recovered Interior. They are also in the process of making new cushions for our long bench near the kitchen and fireplace. They recently did upholstery for Unity Temple.

If you need someone, I would highly recommend them. They are fanatical about all things related to Wright and his circle, and I'm sure would jump at the opportunity to do work on your beautiful place.

https://m.facebook.com/recoveredinterior/

jim@recoveredinterior.com

I realize you're quite a distance from Chicago, but I think they could make that work...

Last edited by peterm on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not trying to reproduce an existing cushion you might want to try cushions.com. I have used them and they satisfied my needs.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. I will look into them. There was originally an unprotected single unusual size mattress on our built-in sofa but being wet, moldy and with mouse droppings on it, we found a large bag and it quickly made it into a dumpster. There are suggestions on a previous thread that I must research, complete with the angle back of the cushions. I have no clue as to why I haven't dealt having them made, perhaps the summer weather keeps me outside, or maybe its a fear of mis-measuring.

We aren't inviting people over until the kitchen cabinets are completed (close) and right now the sofa is serving as a place to store Joe's architecture books, (built in bookshelves are already all filled) until a living room cabinet to house the books, television and my B&O system is built.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/31219767384/in/album-72157650444413635/

I really love the top photo on this page of your beautiful house surrounded with a dusting of newly fallen snow! Such a peaceful setting!
Wrighter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Peter--the restoration continues to sing!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Mod mom's sofa, I'd say the best upholstery would be a flat (not tapered) firm piece for the seat, and a flat back piece in a slightly less firm foam. I often suggest a tilted seating surface when the back is reclined somewhat -- but in this case the sofa is deep enough for sitters to curl up on it, and it no doubt also needs to double as a sleeping surface.

(Reversing from Mod mom's linked photo will bring the viewer to a few more photos of the built-in sofa -- followed by a series of the most convincing (and moving) shots of the interior of the Gunning residence, in its newly-revived state. Inspiring . . .!)

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The built in bench has been reupholstered matching the original dimensions from 1951. The previous replaced cushions had 2' wide back cushions, with 4' seat cushions. The back cushions were about 3 inches too low, and the soiled white microsuede was just wrong.

Wright's instructions for fabric colors specified turquoise, gold, and burnt orange used in any combination. We have now added the gold into the mix using a vintage style boucle' fabric.

Work was done by James and Kylie of Recovered Interiors (photo #6.)
They recently completed upholstery for the Unity Temple restoration. https://m.facebook.com/recoveredinterior/

jim@recoveredinterior.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: