Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Lamberson House Restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Lamberson House Restoration Reply with quote

Well, for the first time my wife and I finally stayed overnight for a few days in our new house. All I can say is that even in a Wright house that is not fully restored, the experience is extraordinary!

The house is not just for the eyes; it is a feast for all of the senses, the feel of the breezes when the right combination of windows are opened for cross ventilation, the smell of the wood and brick, the sounds of the birds and rustling leaves outside, the wood grain under the fingers, moving through the wonderfully choreographed circulation patterns.

I sent SDR a few photos to post with the furniture in situ. I am hooked! I count the days until we can return, hopefully August...

Last edited by peterm on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to you, peterm. It must have been very rewarding to sleep under that spectacular roof for the first time. And after all of the time, money and effort you have already invested in the place, you certainly deserve to enjoy your time there.

Here's to many more ejoyable stays for you in your new abode. and oh by the way, welcome to the great Midwest, the home to some of the friendliest people in this great country of ours. I'm sure you'll get to know the locals during your upcoming stays.

BTW, on one of your next visits be sure to visit one of the local culinary institutions, the Maid Rite sandwich shop, for a "loose meat" sandwich. It's not too far from your new place, and it will certainly be a dining experience that you cannot replicate on the left coast.

Last edited by Wrightgeek on Tue May 26, 2009 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrightgeek-

Thanks for the food tip. Where is the nearest Maid Rite? I don't recall seeing one in Oskaloosa. In fact, the sense of taste is the only one that I am not yet associating with the house, but when we get a little more settled, we hope to do some cooking. (Oskaloosa could use a little help with its restaurants...)

You are right about the folks in the Midwest. Everyone we encountered was courteous and helpful. We got to know our neighbors directly across the street, and they are fantastic, generous people.
Deke

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting all the details of your adventure. A vicarious thrill. I hope you shoot some video and maybe put a little documentary together on the restoration.

Deke
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the realization was equal to the anticipation. Must be great to see the house and furniture and you all united at last! Wishing you many more blissful visits to the new home.
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Peter!!!

What a truly wonderful experience - to have your senses filled in so many new ways!

It is so good to know that the Lamberson House is in such caring and appreciative hands.

David
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm-

Here is some info on the Maid Rite diner in Oskaloosa. Another new experience for you to explore in Iowa, so give it a try and let us know what you think. But above all else, have fun and enjoy your new digs!

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3713633295
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter's photos, arranged as a clockwise tour around the main space, and into the "tail."

Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

The chairs, the hassocks and that way cool table look awesome. Kudos to peterm and Stafford Norris for a job very well done.

More please?
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house looks great peterm.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Peter, how glorious! That table is stunning...most views only show two legs with such a wonderful sculptural effect. The finishes everywhere look sweet. I can imagine your pleasure during those first days...the sensory joy will sustain itself through the years in new and familiar ways daily.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Peter!
By your comments it seems you noticed that the house causes you to be much more aware of the environment around you...you are not contained or sealed in the house. It is like living in a tent or pavillion. Wait until you stay there on a full moon night...particularly with snow...turn off all the electric lights and enjoy...

The triangular table really loves that living room and vice versa. Congratulations again.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Stafford is doing a great job, huh? And a fine human being as well...

Next come the dining tables, which will make the coffee table look downright conservative. (Maybe I'll break them in with a Maid Rite sandwich...) Benches with the red upholstered cushions will go along the long wall under the windows after we get rid of the mean gray baseboard heater, and the desk top and shelves will be brought back. Remove the carpet in the living area and see what the floor says. Resurrect the fireplace...

Slow and steady wins the race? Patience is not my strongest suit.

Snow with a full moon must be transcendental! The house as a multidimensional frame for experiencing nature...
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you mentioned you were going to remove the wall-to-wall, a favorite decorating device throughout the Midwest. The geometric forms of the Native wall hanging look terrific in your house; Wright and Navajo/Hopi/Zuni go great together.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to convince my parents on ripping out the carpet. Maybe someday. The house is just amazing and looks great I am proud to see this coming together Peterm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 1 of 41

Jump to: