Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Mystery of April 27th, 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Mystery of April 27th, 2009 Reply with quote

What could this possibly be?

http://www.prairiemod.com/prairiemod/2009/04/major-wrightrelated-announcement-tomorrow.html

Is the old man still alive?
pharding

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Wright Buildings added to the World Heritage List is my guess.
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good guesses, but not correct. We're not really trying to be mysterious, we are just embargoed from revealing the news until tomorrow.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is William Allin Storrer releasing more information on his find of a development of "new" Wright houses?
IndianaWright

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get a clue about "who" is making the announcement?
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A national holiday in honor of Wright, called Architect's Day?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona is going to tear down that terrible state capitol and build the FLW design? Dubai is going to build the Illinois Tower? Olga has risen to rejoin the undead? So many possibilities.
Eric Saed

Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Saed will be chosen to be given the Lovness Estate because they know he'd take really good care of it but can't afford the purchase price even at 5x his salary? Oh please oh please oh please!
pharding

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterfeit Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings will no longer be built with the recognition that a great architect, who died 50 years ago, is no longer capable of providing professional services. Frank Lloyd Wright Counterfeit Building Conservancy is established.
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the answer is.............The Wright-Related News Revealed

David
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha I was right(Wright). I went to the PreservationNation site,I think, I am a proud member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and will fight to save this landmark.If you want to join the fight to save it go to PreservationNation to save this treasure and many more.
outside in

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let me get this straight. The church and the preservation organization that oversee the maintenance and upkeep of this great building have failed SO miserably at their task that the building is now in danger of being lost forever? What is the point of the endangered landmark program if it is used as a publicity stunt to raise money? I find this to be a dangerous and inappropriate use of this designation.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unity Temple is an important building that has complex and expensive problems to solve, but it is also cared for and monitored and is far from being off the radar screens of those in a position to help. There are ways other than this to alert the public that funds/grants are needed.

I thought the purpose of this designation was to alert us of forgotten, uncared for, or truly at risk structures/places.

Speaking of which, what about the Lewis house in Tallahassee? When I saw it in December 1998, Mrs. Lewis was in her 80's and living there without the means to care for the house....it was damp, overgrown, the carport roof looked dodgy, and a 1960's LandRover was being overtaken by vines that had named the house "next". Mrs. Lewis, if still living, would be almost 90 now...does anyone know of the status of this house?
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN-

Here is a link to a story from 2005 about the Lewis Residence in Tallahassee. This was the most recent update I could find about the status of the property. I read the article a while ago, and did not reread it again today, but as I recall Mrs. Lewis, who was still alive in 2005, had either established a foundation to oversee the property after her passing, or was in the process of trying to do so at the time of the article.

http://www.worth.com/editorial/thought-leaders/culture/from-hearth-to-heritage.asp
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the article. It seemed vaguely familiar. It sounds as if Mrs. Lewis has the best interests of the house at heart. I hope the house successfully makes it through the inevitable ownership transition. I'd guess the FLWBC is watching....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: