Mystery of April 27th, 2009

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Mystery of April 27th, 2009

Post by peterm »

What could this possibly be?

http://www.prairiemod.com/prairiemod/20 ... orrow.html

Is the old man still alive?

pharding

Post by pharding »

10 Wright Buildings added to the World Heritage List is my guess.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

All good guesses, but not correct. We're not really trying to be mysterious, we are just embargoed from revealing the news until tomorrow.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Is William Allin Storrer releasing more information on his find of a development of "new" Wright houses?

IndianaWright

Post by IndianaWright »

Can we get a clue about "who" is making the announcement?

peterm

Post by peterm »

A national holiday in honor of Wright, called Architect's Day?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Arizona is going to tear down that terrible state capitol and build the FLW design? Dubai is going to build the Illinois Tower? Olga has risen to rejoin the undead? So many possibilities.

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Post by Eric Saed »

Eric Saed will be chosen to be given the Lovness Estate because they know he'd take really good care of it but can't afford the purchase price even at 5x his salary? Oh please oh please oh please!

pharding

Post by pharding »

Counterfeit Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings will no longer be built with the recognition that a great architect, who died 50 years ago, is no longer capable of providing professional services. Frank Lloyd Wright Counterfeit Building Conservancy is established.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

And the answer is.............The Wright-Related News Revealed

David

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Ha I was right(Wright). I went to the PreservationNation site,I think, I am a proud member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and will fight to save this landmark.If you want to join the fight to save it go to PreservationNation to save this treasure and many more.
JAT
Jeff T

outside in

Post by outside in »

so let me get this straight. The church and the preservation organization that oversee the maintenance and upkeep of this great building have failed SO miserably at their task that the building is now in danger of being lost forever? What is the point of the endangered landmark program if it is used as a publicity stunt to raise money? I find this to be a dangerous and inappropriate use of this designation.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Unity Temple is an important building that has complex and expensive problems to solve, but it is also cared for and monitored and is far from being off the radar screens of those in a position to help. There are ways other than this to alert the public that funds/grants are needed.

I thought the purpose of this designation was to alert us of forgotten, uncared for, or truly at risk structures/places.

Speaking of which, what about the Lewis house in Tallahassee? When I saw it in December 1998, Mrs. Lewis was in her 80's and living there without the means to care for the house....it was damp, overgrown, the carport roof looked dodgy, and a 1960's LandRover was being overtaken by vines that had named the house "next". Mrs. Lewis, if still living, would be almost 90 now...does anyone know of the status of this house?

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

DRN-

Here is a link to a story from 2005 about the Lewis Residence in Tallahassee. This was the most recent update I could find about the status of the property. I read the article a while ago, and did not reread it again today, but as I recall Mrs. Lewis, who was still alive in 2005, had either established a foundation to oversee the property after her passing, or was in the process of trying to do so at the time of the article.

http://www.worth.com/editorial/thought- ... ritage.asp

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for the link to the article. It seemed vaguely familiar. It sounds as if Mrs. Lewis has the best interests of the house at heart. I hope the house successfully makes it through the inevitable ownership transition. I'd guess the FLWBC is watching....