Organic architecture

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JSL

Organic architecture

Post by JSL »

peterm

Post by peterm »

A kinder, gentler, more sensual Mies...

JimM

Post by JimM »

Breuer meets Mies......

archfan

Post by archfan »

Or with the stone walls and tower, Philip Johnson meets the Knights of Malta.

MOFO Architects (inappropriate snicker) has a Wright quote on their home page.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

I have to agree with Jim M; obviously a play on Farnsworth, but also with a dose of Breuer where the two disparate elements are melded together, ala the house in the Northeastern US where Breuer incorporates the travel trailer into the structure (which serves as the kitchen for that residence as I recall).

Also a slight nod to FLW's Home and Studio with the incorporation of the tree into the building, no?

Good catch on the name of the firm, archfan. As some might say, that is some serious MOFO architecture, if you catch my drift. Hilarious. I wonder what it really stands for?

JimM

Post by JimM »

Wrightgeek wrote:with a dose of Breuer where the two disparate elements are melded together, ala the house in the Northeastern US where Breuer incorporates the travel trailer into the structure (which serves as the kitchen for that residence as I recall)
Yes, and more specificaly, the nerve of a modernist to use organic New Canaan stone! Breuer gave his modernism warmth against his contemporaries.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Breuer had the ability to take the simplest form, for example the shed roof, and make it lively and sophisticated through great detailing. He also placed glass judicially, not everywhere like Mies. The clarity of a good Breuer design is difficult to not appreciate.

The strange Wolfson house:

http://www.aaa.si.edu/images/breumarc/A ... _0049r.jpg

When it comes to furniture, even though it rarely looks appropriate in a Wright or organic house, Breuer was a master with few equals:

http://designmatcher.com/nl/gallery_det ... leryID=262