Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Purcell & Elmslie Factory in Chicago?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Purcell & Elmslie Factory in Chicago? Reply with quote

I realize that this isn't a FLLW question, but I thought I'd tap into the Chicago wisdom of this forum.

Purcell & Elmslie designed a number of factory buildings for the International Leather & Belting Corporation, also known as Alexander Brothers. Just today I learned the street address of the one built example in Chicago, which was located at 3223-41 S. Western Boulevard. (This information gleaned from http://digital.lib.umn.edu/IMAGES/reference/pur/pur01761.jpg)

Does anyone know whether this building is still standing? I am very doubtful, because of its location next to the Stevenson.

I appreciate any news.

John
pharding

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Northwest Architectural Archives at the Univ of Minnesota Reply with quote

The Purcell & Elmslie archives are located at the Northwest Architectural Archives at the Univ of Minnesota. In addition Jack Howe's archives are located there. Here is the web site. http://special.lib.umn.edu/manuscripts/architect.html
Glenn Davis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Alewxander Brothers Reply with quote

See also Mark Hammons' fabulous Purcell & Elmslie website for additional materials related to this project (and much more).

http://www.organica.org/PEJN340.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know about the UofM archives
ed jarolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 70's I used to drive through this area often on both Western

and the Stevenson. I'm sure I would have noticed such a striking

building. That I did not leads me to believe that it was already gone

at that time.

Not wanting to put total trust in memory I just checked an aerial photo

of the area (www.terraserver-usa.com) and do not see anything that

looks like it. Afraid this beautiful building is long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerial photos--a brilliant idea. Thanks for suggesting it. You're right: it doesn't appear that any such building exists there anymore.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: