Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank Lloyd Wright: A Research Guide to Archival Sources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Frank Lloyd Wright: A Research Guide to Archival Sources Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright: A Research Guide to Archival Sources by Patrick Meehan, Garland Publishing, 1983. This 680 page book is a guide to 50 archival collections of FLW drawings, prints, documents, furniture, and artifacts. It includes an itemized list of the contents of each archive as they existed in 1983. It contains lists of collections that contain FLW published and unpublished manuscripts. Each FLW manuscript in those collections is itemized. The breadth of these archival collections is amazing. There is significant Wright material in locations that you would never expect to be a repository.

My copy arrived today. It was formerly owned by Wright scholar, H. Allen Brooks. This is a great, but obscure book that identifies many avenues for Wright research. Highly recommended if you can find it.
guest1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, would you give us some insight as to how you came about purchasing the book.
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest1 wrote:
Paul, would you give us some insight as to how you came about purchasing the book.

I am into books and knowledge about some topics that I find especially interesting. I am amazed each time that I buy a quality book that I got all of that information for the price of printing the book.

With regard to FLW. I am looking for less obvious, but informative books that will further my understanding of Wright or lead to other good sources of information, including possibly new information on the Davenport House. I am just getting started on looking into archival information. This book is critical to my efforts because it will save a lot of time and open up new avenues for my research.

My sources of information for books are bibliographies of interesting books, drilling deep into Google Searches, Amazon.com searches, etc. Once I identify what I want, I search for the book on Amazon.com, Alibris.com, Abe Books, high quality architectural bookstores including Prairie Avenue Bookstore in Chicago. The key to finding obscure, hard to find books on Google is to drill way down into the search results and be open minded. I found the entire set of 1901 Ladies Home Journal Magazines on an English website that referenced back to a very small Virginia book dealer. The two 1901 issues of LHJ have one page articles designed and written by FLW which brought him his first national recognition.
hertz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest Shining Brow bookseller as a source of rare books about Wright and his work. There is a link from:

http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/

The business is run by Mike Lilek, our treasurer.

Mark Hertzberg, Board member, Wright in Wisconsin.
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thay was an oversight on my part. I would buy every FLW book from Mike if I could. He is extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: