Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

lamberson house pics jan. 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm: The origami chair looks incredible! You must be quite excited and pleased.
What finish is being applied to the wood...is it clear or does it have a component of stain?

The brass "feet" on the chair look great, and will obviously protect the endgrains of the plywood, but you may want to keep the chair on an area rug as the metal (particularly point loads) will scratch the tinted concrete finish of the floor.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chair looks great.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
peterm: The origami chair looks incredible! You must be quite excited and pleased.
What finish is being applied to the wood...is it clear or does it have a component of stain?

The brass "feet" on the chair look great, and will obviously protect the endgrains of the plywood, but you may want to keep the chair on an area rug as the metal (particularly point loads) will scratch the tinted concrete finish of the floor.

There is no stain on the wood veneer; it is redwood flat cut with an oil finish. I am very happy with the veneer. I found it here it L.A. after searching for many months. Stafford applied it to the 1/2" ply with his vacuum press. The untreated areas will be upholstered (this week)

I went back and forth about the brass feet for exactly the reason that you point out. When our carpeting is removed, I probably will use felt pads to protect the floor. The chair just looked a little sad and poor in it's shoeless state, and so well groomed with them on...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31185895@N06/sets/
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is... is it the chair comfortable to sit in?
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope so!

I still haven't sat on it, but it was tested by several different people of various sizes who said it felt great. The chair is in Minneapolis and I'm in L.A. I will get to sit on it in a couple of weeks when Stafford and I will meet in Oskaloosa.

We took our dimensions from earlier versions of the chair which are a little smaller than the later Cassina chair. This should be ok for us, since my wife and I are both small...

Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that. The chair is beautiful and looks very good design and comfort wise.
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poetry in plywood!
Deke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat in one of these at Twest and found it very comfortable. Probably not the easiest chair for folks having trouble standing up again. The work looks amazing...those thin mitered corners are very impressive.

I see this chair and can't help but wonder if Wright gave any thought as to house difficult his designs were to build.

Deke
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Half-inch plywood should make these somewhat lighter than they might be otherwise. Do you intend to leave the ply edges exposed ?

The real miracle, to a woodworker, is that the cross grain veneer on the narrow end of these wedges survived intact. Well done, Mr Norris !

peterm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to former apprentice John Geiger the other day, and he mentioned that he can still recall two apprentices who were assigned to construct the chair. He says he thinks they are both still alive, one living in England, and I think the other in the Pacific Northwest. I was unfamiliar with both of them and should have written their names down... Geiger joined the Fellowship in '47 and he said that the first incarnation of the chair was being worked on at that time at Taliesin West. I was surprised, and had assumed that the chair design was older than that, but he was confident in his recollection. (There might be as many versions of the history as were apprentices...)

My point in bringing this up is that he said that they were really struggling with it and one was a fine cabinetmaker. They were trying to fix the "tipping" problem that other people have mentioned when discussing this chair. When one would try to get out of the chair, putting pressure on the arms, the chair would tip forward.

Deke-

There are very simple to build early Usonian pieces, but I think the Origami chair has to be one the most intricate pieces he ever designed. There is not a single square or rectangular piece making up the whole. The angles, (and angles of the miters) are so complex, and most of them are not notated in the drawings. It is clear that much was up to the builder to figure out. Also, to make the chair out the 1/2" is much more difficult, the room for error being smaller and there is so little for the pieces to rest upon. Only the earliest chairs used the 1/2". I prefer it, with the delicate profile.

SDR-

Just saw your post...

The screw which is shown in the photo which SDR posts, will be covered with upholstery...

The edges will remain exposed as per the Lamberson drawing. Stafford says that despite the diminutive character of the chair, and its 1/2" ply, it is still heavy and not that easy to schlepp around. (The Rubin Origami wheel chair comes to mind...)
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looks wonderful, peterm. And the craftsmanship looks superb, too. Thank you very much for sharing these terrific photos.

David
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: 2nd Origami birth Reply with quote

The twin arrived today, healthy, (and heavy).

Still naked and shoeless...

peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Furniture update Reply with quote

Furniture update

One origami chair is upholstered and a coffee table is finished:

Note: The color is more accurate in the aqua pics without the silvery reflections from the low resolution and flash.
Deke

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the chairs...the fabric is great. And that triangle table is more dynamic that the usual tables of this sort...the angle on the vertical supports makes it really interesting.

It's tough to judge the scale of the chairs. They seem a bit smaller that what I'm used to and I recall reading something about two different sizes of these origami chairs. Am I wrong about that?

Deke
peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deke-

Thanks...To give you an idea of the scale, the width at its widest point (the points on the arms) is a little under 36 inches. Wide and low- but what makes this chair different is that the width of the back is smaller than the standard more recent Cassina Taliesin chair. So that means that it angles from front to back more. There are other similarly scaled chairs, Rubin, Kraus, the original Taliesin chairs, etc.

I love the dynamism of the low table also. I believe this table is unique to the Lamberson house. It is a triangular version of the square Mossberg table which appears in several Usonians and was also mass produced by Cassina for a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: