Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

lamberson house pics jan. 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: lamberson house pics jan. 2009 Reply with quote

hypno-raygun generously provided me with these nice exterior photos which he took on martin luther king jr. day. i am showing them to you (warts and all)! a couple of things to note:

the house has it's removable storm windows on over the summer windows. these windows have mullions which don't exist on the year round windows. they also cover up the mitered corners. do other usonian houses have removable storm windows?

there are clearly some maintenance issues: peeling red paint, blistering varnish on the underside of eaves. one storm window has an aluminum frame.

there are landscaping issues as well: overgrown junipers need to be pruned or removed, etc.

ugly wall air conditioner on rear of house needs to go. as a stop gap, i will paint it cherokee red.

parking area is not right. this is not a shopping mall!

the terrace off of living room was originally a solid brick prow, (think kraus house). it will need to be brought back.

also, there is a missing brick wall which will conceal the kitchen door. now it appears as though there are two front doors.

all in good time, i guess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31185895@N06/sets/72157613217370406/show/

also, check out hypno rayguns flicker site. he has photographed tons of wright houses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypnoraygun/collections/72157600092370668/
DavidC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you peterm and hypno. I am really enjoying seeing the close-up pictures of your wonderful home.

Is it the case that the exterior brick has relatively shallow-raked horizontal mortar joints - as well as flush, brick-matched vertical joints? Are the interior bricks treated the same way?

Are the small vertical windows above an area of built-in's in the living room? Are they fixed windows or operable awnigs?

David
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those vertical windows Tnguy is asking about are the windows (small casements or fixed glass?) that replaced the clerestory band that was to have that perf. Right? That facade faces what direction?
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david-

if you look at the close-up photo of the triangular pier supporting the carport, you can see the horizontal raked joints clearly. i think that they are typical for usonian houses. the vertical mortar is flush and colored, interior and exterior, although i wish it were a little darker; it is more pink than terra cotta. also, you might be able to see from the photos that the custom manufactured corner bricks are a little bit lighter in color than the regular bricks.

the small vertical windows are directly above the built in sofa, and this is the spot where initially perforated panels were to be installed. the final version of the plans shows the vertical windows. i think these windows might be replacements. it looks as if they might have aluminum frames, but i need to examine them more carefully. they are not operable.
the plans we have only show the vertical windows, without details...
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palli- yes, those are the replacements for the perfs. it faces northwest, and the windows are above the interior built in bench. they are fixed, at least now.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks peterm and hypnoraygun for the pics!

Is the triangular light in the carport soffit an electric light/skylight combo, or one or the other? Neat detail that I never knew about.
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the triangular light in the carport soffit an electric light/skylight combo, or one or the other?

I believe it is just a Skylight. It looks "lit up" because it was covered with snow and glowing.

Peter, correct me if I am wrong.. But I think it is just a skylight. It is a very cool detail that you do not see unless you are right under it.

Here is my set with the outside pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypnoraygun/sets/72157612877176099/

Some interior ones maybe added in the future.

Here is one of the sky light photo.

peterm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is only a skylight. there are a total of 4 skylights in the house, the largest being in the kitchen, quite large and rectangular in shape. there are two lights to the side of that one, and when they are on at night, the trees surrounding the house are illuminated.

the other skylights are triangles, as well, one in the bathroom and one in the master bedroom.

the previous owner told me that a roofer was working on the roof a few years ago, was not paying attention and stepped on the carport glass skylight and fell through it, sustaining some pretty nasty cuts. fortunately, he was ok.

hypnoraygun- just saw your post. i didn't know that it was covered with snow...
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Peter, such a gem.
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palli-thanks

though maybe one which could benefit from a little cutting and polishing.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours will have the patina of care, love and respect

Last edited by Palli Davis Holubar on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm, Lamberson looks great, patina or not. Once you get into it, the feeling of satisfaction in making repairs or pruning way the neglect to reveal a hidden vantage point makes ownership very rewarding. Given the amount I have to do at Sweeton, I stand to be very satisfied and rewarded for a very long time.
It's frustrating at times, but also a lot of fun!
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drn-

thanks for the encouragement. my frustration is not being able to be there.

i have to look at photos over and over again, imagining what i will do when we can get out there again.

we still haven't even slept in the house!
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks great in the snow !

The series in the second set, walking clockwise around the "front" of the house, is very useful for understanding what is going on with the complex
geometries of the house -- or maybe it's just fun to see the form evolving in that way.

On the other side of the house, the alternating massive brick solids and the window bands, under that dominant, all-enclosing roof, is uncommonly attractive and memorable. Just yummy. . .

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdr-

isn't that snow just damn exotic for us "left coasters"? the colors are literally reduced to various shades of red and white, only interrupted by an occasional gray or green of a plant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: