24 TV Premier/Usonian Building

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Phil Adams

24 TV Premier/Usonian Building

Post by Phil Adams »

Did any of you see the television premier of 24? Much of it was filmed inside a structure with some strong Usonian influence

guestnow

Post by guestnow »

I watched my first episode of "24" tonight. Much of it took place in this strongly Usonian home. In the context of the show, the house is located in California. They said this in the dialogue.

rgrant

Post by rgrant »

Because of the amount of room needed to photograph a scene, and the limited amount of space in most of the Usonian houses, in all probability it was a set on a studio stage. Many set decorators use images taken from architecture to design their sets. One wall of the nightmarish house on "Big Brother" last season was decorated with a grille based on one designed by John DeKoven Hill for a house he built in Cincinnati in the 50s. I remember an awards show in the 70s that used a geometric pattern from a Lloyd Wright gate!

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

It did not appear to be a soundstage, but I doubt it was pure Usonian, as far as size. It did have a number of Wright influences, including the fireplace and mantle (A single, concrete shelf inserted into the brick). But it also had a number of elements suggesting work by an admirer or apprentice (for instance, a regular vertical seam in the brickwork at periodic points). It was, however, an interesting structure. I'm assuming that the exterior shots with the water elements were of the same structure, since the brick pattern continued. Did others get that same impression?

guestnow

"Camp Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by guestnow »

I did a quick Google search concerning this California residence of the President in "24". Probably, the many who obsess over the shows's many convoluted details know more about where it is filmed.

I did find a discussion that called the place "Camp Frank Lloyd Wright".

guestnow

"24" house question solved.

Post by guestnow »

A few minutes ago, I read an article in a magazine about set designer Joseph Hodges, who works on "24". The house is nothing but sets. He designed it with "swanky 1950's Southern California" interiors in mind.[/url]

KevinW

alias

Post by KevinW »

This seasons premier of Alias with Jennifer Garner was filmed at the Benson House in Malibu, designed by Wes Peters. For whatever that is worth....
KevinW

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Guestnow--Thanks for the information. But I'm puzzled that the set designer saw that as swanky 50's interior. When I think swanky 50's I think more of the Matt Helm films (or were those early 60's?). Those lines seemed a bit clean to be "swanky."