Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW Red Signature Tile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to study the Pennfield tile to some length.
Its color has a very brown tinge to it. It is what would be expected if one tile was fired in a mix bag of other ware by an artist that was interested in creating only one tile for his house. Lou surely would not have fired his lone tile by its self...he needed the kiln filled.
FarmerBill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get photos of the Rubin tile, front and back.
jmcnally

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's how I saw the dimensions kept consistent during a tour of the Pewabic pottery studio (Detroit) many years ago: the clay was formed into a rectangular loaf (it may have gone through a press like play-dough), and then was sliced like bread. They used molds for their mass-produced items (limited editions or standard designs), but plainer tiles did not go through molds because that just adds steps and creates more potential for defects (such as the clay sticking to the mold and harming the impression).

Thus, a mold is not absolutely necessary to keep standard dimensions, and given the variations in the signatures I would seek verification from someone who has knowledge of the exact process used before concluding that molds must have been used.

By no means, I have no experience with tiles or glazing, but I am trying to work out the most probable methods given that we have not received a full eyewitness account.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- some ceramic specifics at last. Thank you.

Again, we see the suggestion that the signature would have been incised by the mold, rather than inscribed individually. (If not, why would Olga have thought it necessary to "destroy the mold" ?) To get a definitive answer, we have only to compare face photos of as many tiles as possible. If there are more than a couple of (early, or later) tiles that appear identical in their graphic features -- precise form and placement of the signature -- we'll have an answer. In the meantime, there are equally plausible and compelling statements from both sides of this issue -- it seems.

SDR
dtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examination of the back side of as many tiles that exist in "junk drawers" would be most valuable in determining if the tiles were either press molded or made from slabs.
The back of a press molded tile is distinctive...tool marks and or finger impressions left behind from the process of pressing the clay into the mold is apparent.

If I get permission I will take a photo of the Rubin tile.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be no irregularities like finger-marks if the tile were molded between two hard surfaces, would there ? One doesn't see such marks in mass-produced tiles. In any event, everything that's been mentioned should be investigated; I maintain that a close comparison of the signatures will reveal whether any of the tiles, from early or later production or both, had been made from a mold that included the inscription. We have heard of and seen variations -- now to determine if any of the tiles at all are identical...?

SDR
AWG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember much about the production of the tiles, but I remember seeing them scattered around my grandmother's (Jeannette Pauson Haber) workspace and that my father (Aaron Green) inscribed each tile with the FLLW initials. My grandmother made her own glazes and was a very good but not professional ceramicist. She had a small kiln, so I assume the tiles were not all fired in one batch, so there would be color variation.

Allan Green
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion of the signature tiles on another thread links back to this long and detailed discussion. Some notes on both:

- The cherry wood box with affixed signature tile for sale on eBay in 2/2015 appears to be identical to the box with tile that was up on eBay in 2009 and posted on this thread at that time by DavidC. JimM noted in 2/2015 that he has an identical box to the one currently on eBay, and that his box tile measures 1.5" square. Whereas the building tiles are 3.75" square per dtc's measurements of the Dobkins tile on this thread.

- A link to hypnoraygun's flickr page of building tile pics:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/flwtiles/

- A review of the building tile pics all at once seems to indicate there are two signature types among the tiles distinguished by the shape and relative size of the 'W'. Some tiles have a relatively large 'W' with a large, curved downward swoop at the end, the others have a smaller 'W' with a smaller, straighter downward swoop. Could this difference be confirmation of Mrs. Haber making two (possibly more) batches of tiles?
Rood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecoHome wrote:
I know that the Gordon House had one - it was there when I interviewed Evelyn Gordon - but it was taken by a thief when the house was vacant, before the Conservancy took posession.

A thief attempted to run off with the tile from the Price House in Phoenix, too. All he got from his labour was a small chunk off the lower right corner. Either it's in there fairly solid, or someone spooked him off before he could do any more damage.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 80s, before collecting FLW hit its crazy heights, a thief removed one of the RMS-designed brass escutcheons from the concrete gates at Hollyhock. There was frenzy and panic when the theft was discovered, and the rest of the brass was taken off for safekeeping. Then, maybe 30 minutes later, the missing piece was discovered tucked away in a corner, as if the thief had been interrupted and hid his booty to be retrieved later.

In the wake, I made detailed drawings of the items for use should anything happen to them in the future, and Ginny found a way to attach them in such a way that they could no longer be so easily removed. That would have been a major loss had the thief got away with it.
AKB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While taking a virtual tour of the Olfelt house on the realtor's website, I noticed a red/orange tile beside the front door. Perhaps it is one of the signature tiles discussed at length on this thread.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=c1nEg1ow37r&brand=0&vr=0
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00129/modifying-a-3d-camera-view.html
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKB wrote:
While taking a virtual tour of the Olfelt house on the realtor's website, I noticed a red/orange tile beside the front door. Perhaps it is one of the signature tiles discussed at length on this thread.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=c1nEg1ow37r&brand=0&vr=0

I guess that's what you do if you don't want it stolen. Not unprecidented - Jacobs II has its tile installed inside as well.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that virtual-tour walkthrough is the bee's knees . . .

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing the Tile thread into post-outage search-land.

search terms: tile, aaron, green, signature

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: