Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW Red Signature Tile
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olgivanna

Location: Taliesin, Spring Green, WI & Taliesin West, Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: FLW Red Signature Tile Reply with quote

I thought I would start a new thread on this.

I know an Wright homeowner whose house did not have the red tile when they bought it. They approached Taliesin to see if they had any extras so it could be put on the house. The Archive group sent a long explanation saying their house was no less significant because it didnít have the tile. They went on to say that they were just getting started sending them out to the clients and then suddenly stopped due to Wrightís death. It has absolutely nothing to do will the design of the house.

Realtors will market a Wright house that has the tile as a superior Wright design. One recent house for sale boasted it was 1 of only 19 tiled houses in existence. Original Wright clients will tell you the same.

I encourage anyone to contact the group and post a 110% accurate story here so everyone can read.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told (by his son) that Louis Penfield made his own red tile.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .All of which shows that the thing is essentially meaningless, as a supposed sign of special status for those houses which have a tile, original or
otherwise -- and the sooner that information is disseminated, the better. Then we can get back to exploring the minutia of tile history, without
imputing any relative value to houses with or without one. . .

What say ?

SDR
KevinW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Red Tiles Reply with quote

Ok, please refer to the FLLW Quarterly, Winter 2001 Vol. 12 No.1 Regarding the Red Signiture Tiles. It is written in an in interview with Aaron Green, whos mother in law produced the tiles. She produced the tiles one at a time, and only the best ones were sent to Wright. He believes that only 20 tiles were ever sent to Wright, and that Wright would distribute to his favorite clients. So there you go.
I think this is pretty substantial information, considering it was published by the Foundation, from an interview with Aaron. Notice it says favorite clients, you can interpret that any way you would like to.
Thanks
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank *you* -- there may be no one else who could point us to these facts.

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course "favorite" can be interpreted to mean the clients who let FLW do his "thing" without interference, therefore resulting in his least "diluted" buildings, or favorite could mean the clients that complained the least about cost overruns, or the clients who had the most attractive and accommodating wives, or the clients who willingly loaned him money.

If the latter was the case then the Darwin Martin House deserves a red tile.
Olgivanna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, please refer to the FLLW Quarterly, Winter 2001 Vol. 12 No.1 Regarding the Red Signiture Tiles. It is written in an in interview with Aaron Green, whos mother in law produced the tiles. She produced the tiles one at a time, and only the best ones were sent to Wright. He believes that only 20 tiles were ever sent to Wright, and that Wright would distribute to his favorite clients. So there you go.
I think this is pretty substantial information, considering it was published by the Foundation, from an interview with Aaron. Notice it says favorite clients, you can interpret that any way you would like to.
Thanks

I appreciate you posting this information. I wish we could all read the article. Your story and the one heard from Taliesin Archives basically mesh. So the term favorite client is very important here because some of those original tiled houses I have some doubts on while other magnificent Wright designs lack the tile. A perfect example is why Max Hoffman doesnít have a tile.

Would anyone want to create the list 1-20 and keep cutting and pasting? Iíll go ahead and start from what I know.

SUSPECTED ORIGINAL TILES DESIGNS:

1. Smith
2. Sander
3. Shultz
4. Hagan
5. Fallingwater
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Arnold House in Columbus, WI has one, Penfield in NE Ohio has one as well, and the Johnson Wax Administration Bldg. also has a tile.
Olgivanna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
believe the Arnold House in Columbus, WI has one, and Penfield in NE Ohio has one as well.

I've been to Arnold and I don't recall seeing one. Read a few postingas above this re: Penfiled.

Let's get with the program.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, Olgivanna, your memory is obviously far superior to mine.

The Seth Peterson Cottage in WI definitely has a tile, as does Taliesin, and the Austin Residence in South Carolina.

BTW, if you are so all-knowing about this subject, as implied by the condescending tone of your reply, why don't you just go ahead and finish off the list yourself?

In less than a dozen posts on this forum, you have already proven yourself to be quite boorish, IMHO. You have succeeded in making me regret trying to offer assistance to your request.

Last edited by Wrightgeek on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Olgivanna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUSPECTED ORIGINAL TILES DESIGNS:

1. Smith
2. Sander
3. Shultz
4. Hagan
5. Fallingwater
6. Peterson
7. Taliesin
JimM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Tiles Reply with quote

myLiebermeisterAGG wrote:
Ok, please refer to the FLLW Quarterly, Winter 2001 Vol. 12 No.1 Regarding the Red Signiture Tiles.

So it was the Quarterly where I read about them! Although I browse them periodically, I had no idea it was from 2001.
JimM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrightgeek wrote:
Well then, Olgivanna.......
In less than a dozen posts on this forum, you have already proven yourself to be quite boorish......

....fitting member name; and methinks quite intentional!
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I could purchase the complete set of Quarterlies from the Foundation for $800. That's not going to happen, unfortunately. If anyone would like to scan the relevant article, or mail me a photocopy, I would be happy to post it here. . .

SDR
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth Shalom Synagogue has one, also The Price Sr home in AZ has one. The Lowell Walter home in IA has one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: