Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Video of the Walker House (Carmel, CA - 1948)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Video of the Walker House (Carmel, CA - 1948) Reply with quote

The quality isn't the greatest on this video-conferencing walk-through of the Walker House [5:50]. But then again, how often have we seen any type of video of the home?

The videographer/narrator (if we can truly use those terms here) doesn't seem to quite grasp the importance of what he is experiencing/seeing/showing.

David
Dr. Peter Faukner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep things in perspective, there was an addition to the BR wing.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the wonders of modren technology. . .! I guess he's carrying his laptop around, using it as a camera ?

"Dinky. . ." but "incredible." Hope they don't burn the place down. . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it is a unique peek at the experience of the house, inside and out. Thanks for the link !

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wonderful thing about this video, (aside from the fuzzy glimpses of the stunning architecture) is the clear joy and awe that this person feels as he moves through this architectural space. wright's designs are democratic, they can be appreciated by the lay person as well as the educated design aficionado. this is not necessarily the case with all architecture. the filmmaker's natural response to the coziness of the shower, bathroom, and bedroom area is as strong as his appreciation of the framing of the ocean views. we are normally used to only hearing comments about wright's designs from docents and academics.

also, are there any other examples of the stepped window design in wright's oeuvre?
Ed Jarolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm-

The House on the Mesa project presages the use of the stepped windows at Walker by a number of years. They show up nicely in the model shown at http://recerca.upc.edu/historiaenobres/angles/ficha.php?id=177
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House on the Mesa interior perspective (3102.20)

Wright's "chilliest" period -- note the characterless ceiling plane and apparent lack of spacial complexity

SDR
CEP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "stepped down" window effect had an interim Wright opportunity prior to Walker - actually right around the point on Scenic Drive, also on the water but with a different orientation towards Point Lobos - the Haldorn project of the mid 40's.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawing above makes clear the placement and operation of the ventilating panes, in a way matched by no photo of Walker that I've seen.

SDR
Sutton1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was House on the Mesa desgined for a specific client and site or was it just a design exercise? Could the mesa have been in the Golden area? Did Wright visit the area and was thus inspired to create this design?
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The House on the Mesa is the typical five-car luxury house that one might find in Broadacre City." FLLW (Monograph 5)

SDR
Ed Jarolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I can't cite book and verse, I believe this design was created as Wright's response to the International Style minimalism being touted by Phillip Johnson and Henry Russell Hitchcock in the runup to their 1932 MOMA show. It was displayed at this show along with the work of young turks Corbu, Gropius, Mies and Breuer. Whether the "House on the Mesa" actually had a client and was displayed with the client's name withheld or was simply done as an intellectual exercise I don't know. Given it's location in time in the midst the Great Depression, I suspect the latter to be the case. Never one to waste a good design, I think Wright simply placed it into the Broadacre City context afterwards.

It would seem that this design ushered in a phase of Wright's work marked by little or no ornament, integral or otherwise, and streamlines. The best examples being Fallingwater, Johnson Wax, Goetsch-Winckler and Rosenbaum.
Dr. Peter Faukner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I seem to recall that design focus as well.

I also discovered in Treasurers of Taliesin, pg. 48, Memorial to the Soil, Chapel for Sothern Wisconsin, 1937, the same windows design used as Walker.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtis Bessinger, in "Working with Mr Wright," p 212, mentions that the Walker ventilation is in the form of sliding, rather than hinged, glass
panels.

Brendan Gill, in "Many Masks," p 335, says the house was "designed to be exhibited at the [MoMA] exhibition. . ."

The mother lode of material on this house may be the "Unpublished notes to drawings" that B B Pfeiffer includes in Vol 3 of his "FFLW Collected
Writings," pp 126-30. Pfeiffer says the design was "prepared and exhibited in" the MoMA exhibition. Wright begins by saying

"The House on the Mesa was designed for a moderately wealthy American family of considerable culture [it never hurts to flatter your potential client - ed.]
-- master, mistress and four children, cook and two maids, chauffeur and gardener.

"Their architect intended to help them make something of machine-age luxury that would compare favorably in character and integrity with the
luxury of the Greeks or Goths, within the limits of an expenditure of some $125,000."

The house is constructed of reinforced concrete and concrete block, with extensive cantilevering of slabs; the lightweight glazed stepped screens
are suspended from above. Copper mesh hangs within these glass walls, augmented with other textiles "for warmth or coolness."

The 1935 design for Stanley Marcus also shows these stepped glass walls.

SDR
Dr. Peter Faukner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me correctly, I recall a part in the FLW Ken Burns video where he interviews Philip Johnson regarding FLW. I believe Johnson talks about Wright’s submission of an international style house (House on the Mesa) for the MoMA exhibit. Johnson says something to the affect. “What did he do? He submitted this beautiful design….”

Someone should really put parts of theses videos on YouTube. Especially the part where William Cronin talks about Wright's Usonian houses.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Faukner on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: