Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Palmer House For Sale
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Palmer House For Sale Reply with quote

We received word that the Palmer House is up for sale. Check out the post at www.prairiemod.com
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARTICLE:
http://www.mlive.com/news/annarbornews/index.ssf?/base/news-28/1217860814227000.xml&coll=2

REALTOR WEBSITE:
http://www.palmerhouseannarbor.com/
RJH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! ! !

I also printed out the 16 page legal document w/easments. Hurray FLWBC!!!! A future owner can never add a TV Room by a wantabe FLW.

The brick on Palmer is the same brick used in Haynes. Claycraft Brick Co. made in Columbus, OH area.

This house is a steal at only $1.5M.
RJH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the doc the gravity heating system failed. There is an alternate heating system.

Wonder how long it wil take Ron S. to contact the broker and ask him to remove the doc.?????
EJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many golf balls do you think are on the grounds of the Palmer House? Maybe they were used by Wright?
RJH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say at least 2 or 3. I hope they put them on eBay so I can buy them! Smile
RA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJH

Aren't we not supposed to make direct or veiled personal attacks on others of this site?
RJH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance after work to go through the easement doc the FLWBC implemented. Here are some “issues.”

- It also protects the Howe Tea House.

- The new owner would have to consult TAA or a restoration architect just to put on a simple new roof. This is overly excessive!

- All drawings documents and such must remain “in” the house at all times. What if the house burns? Theft? They should be in a vault.

- No RVs or Campers on the property at any time. What? I pay $1.5M and I am being told what I can and can’t park on my land?

- New owner must open house up 2 days per year to the public. WHAT? Are they out of their mind? After dropping $1.5M I would want my privacy.

- The children and grandchildren of the original clients of Mr. Wright and the original owners of the house must be granted access to the house and property 2 days per year separate from the 2 public days. I have nothing against this. I have opened Haynes to the Haynes family in the past. But, being put in a legal contract is crazy? Let me get this straight. A buyer spends $1.5M and they have to open the house to the old owner they paid the $1.5M to? And the family still gets the buyers $1.5M!

Property taxes a whopping $24,799/yr!
jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These easement conditions appear to be quite reasonable and correct.

1) The Tea House is an integral part of the entire ensemble - landscape, house teahouse.

2) Owners, who for the most part are not preservation architects, should indeed be required to consult with experts on any significant change. Imagine a white asphalt shingle roof recommended by a roofer!

3) hum.

4) Campers and RVs. Yes, you are buying a work of art with world significance. You are not just buying "land" to do with as you wish.

5) Public access. Yes. again, you are buying a work of art and have a responsibility to the greater public. There is no one who takes a weekend off during the year and could not allow public access then?

6.) Children and Grandchildren. A lovely thing to do. And frankly, not all that uncommon. I have seen it with houses that are not nearly this special, except in the minds of the original sellers. Here we have a family that has created a great gift to the world, and is offering it at a very modest price (check out some of the others on Savewright). I have been honored when the descendants of the original owners of my house have come back to see it.

7) Property taxes - they are what they are.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor problem: TAA no longer exists as an architectural firm.

Buy a fireproof safe.

If the house was in Chicago suburbs the taxes would be closer to $45K.
RJH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beautiful design. However, some personal issues unique to my tastes are:

- I don’t like the all glass front door entry area. I am sure Wright designed this to illuminate dark space. However, there is no privacy when a stranger comes to the front door. Alsop house is like this as well.

- Beds! No way would I be able to sleep on a trapezoid bed.

I don't see any red tinted vertical mortar joints?
dtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't believe all these comments.

This usonian house is by far one of the very best, if not the best!

"Too much glass at the entry" "trapezoid beds" come on guys this structure and gardens are so right, so beautiful and the price. Sounds like they are throwing in the tea house for nothing.

DTC
dtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red head joints?

I believe the bricks are not Red---Why would Wright spec Red head Joints?

DTC
RJH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Palmer certainly is one of the best Wright Usonians. But, I like my little efficient and compact Haynes design which suites my tastes.

It is just me. I suspect the Palmers, and next owners, have slightly different taste than I in a Wright Usonian. Some like square grid and some like 30-60. Some like stone while other like brick or CMU. It is just preference.

Haynes brick is red Chicago common brick by Claycraft and it does have red head joints. Palmer uses the exact same brick but w/o red head joints?

Dobkins suites my tastes much more than Palmer. I could see Palmer selling to an artist type of person.
dkottum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Palmer House is in a league of its own, surely one of Wright's masterpieces. THe story behind this design of how Billy and Mary Palmer worked with FLLW is found in "Frank Lloyd Wright's Palmer House" by Grant Hildebrand, and is very interesting. I don't understand how something so perfect artistically and functionally can be criticized.

It would seem that a University professor and spouse with an appreciation of art and a love of music would be very happy there.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: