Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Tony Smith-FLW Aprentice & Sculptor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the details of the block system used on the Richard Lloyd Jones House. I've seen the house a few times but did not focus on the blocks for some reason. My recollection was that they were rather ordinary.

I did find this webpage that shows the details of the Alden Dow block system: http://www.abdow.org/t16-unit-block-systems.aspx
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference between the early block houses in L A and the Lloyd Jones House is scale. The early blocks were 16" x 16", while the Ll Jones were 20" horizontally x 15" vertically. Subdivided, they made a perfect fit for a standard 10" x 7.5" stair, as opposed to the awkward 16" x 8" of the Freeman House. They also established a 5' x 5' square grid, giving this huge house (8000+ s.f.) a different feel entirely. It's a wonderful house.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Tony Smith, Architect Reply with quote

Below is a link to a website that has a page about Tony Smith, with some interesting information about his relatively brief architectural career. There are also a couple of interesting photos, including a photo of a model of one of his built projects in the Cape Cod area.

http://www.ccmht.org/smith.html
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fortuitous! I was just writing the owners of the Armstrong House hoping they have a set of plans that will shed light on the perforated boards that the Sept. 1, 1939 revised plan indicates are at the entrance of the main floor but were never installed. I was trying also to find out who Taliesin sent to the house construction. And there you found it, must have been the last thing Tony Smith did for Taliesin. I'll check the Correspondence Index; maybe there will be some insights there from Smith.
When this thread started, I was delighted to learn of Tony Smith's FLW connections. His work has often felt truer than some other American minimalists. Minimalist sculpture has always been an important way to understand the mass of Wright's buildings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: