Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank Lloyd Wright: Writings and Buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Frank Lloyd Wright: Writings and Buildings Reply with quote

by Edgar Kaufmann and Ben Raeburn, 1960. This book has 347 pp., illustrations, and a list of executed works between 1893 and 1959 keyed to map of the United States. Is this book a candidate for my FLW library?
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent compilation of writings from other sources, but the list of works and addresses has some errors. The list was obtained from Taliesin in the 50's and was not verified prior to publication. Some unbuilts are lised as built.
Bernard Pyron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Bruce Radde's List in Writings and Buildings, 1960 Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
A decent compilation of writings from other sources, but the list of works and addresses has some errors. The list was obtained from Taliesin in the 50's and was not verified prior to publication. Some unbuilts are lised as built.

In 1957-1958 I got a partial list of Wright houses after 1950 from the Burnham Library of Architecture of the Art Institute of Chicago. I added houses from info given to me at Taliesin by John Ottenheimer and a few other Apprentices. Bruce Radde had my list and added earlier works to it from Henry-Russell Hitchcock's work on Wright and from some other sources. Radde in 1959 or so said he was at Falling Water and talked to Kaufman. He gave the list to him and they published it in the 1960 book, Writings and Buildings. In his intro, Radde gives me credit for the houses after 1950. I know that Storrer said some structures in Radde's list were not built. But I used the list, or early versions of it, to find houses throughout the Midwest in 1957 to about 1960 and found just about all were built. Bernard Pyron bernardpyron@gmail.com
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: drooling question for Pyron Reply with quote

Quote:
While Wright was aliveI photographed many opf his floor plans and perspecive drawings, as well as most of his later houses in the Midwest.

You didn't happen to photograph Taliesin in, say, 1958 did you? If so, could I write you and find out more?
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Bernard Pyron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Did I Photograph Taliesin in 1958? Reply with quote

I have some color slides of Taliesin in Wisconsin I took in 1957 or 1958. I have never been to Taliesin West.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have some color slides of Taliesin in Wisconsin I took in 1957 or 1958.

Wow. That makes me so happy I can't even describe it.

Can I e-mail you about getting scans? This would be for restoration and research purposes.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Bernard Pyron

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Color Slides and Black and White Negatives of Taliesin East Reply with quote

I took a couple of color slides of Taliesin out of a larger container recently and put them in a smaller box. I probably have a few more color slides of the place, including one of Wright's pig pens. I also have some black and white negatives of Taliesin. I have perhaps several of these in an envelope. I will see what they are.

The few color slides I have and I think also the black and white negatives

are of the main area of Taliesin. I have no inside photos of the place. I was not inside but two or three times, once when I met Wright in the fall of 1958, another time, when an apprentice or two brought me and a friend inside and perhaps once when I was part of the yearly tour of the place that professor of art history at Wisconsin John Kienitz brought there.

When the friend and I were inside - not the time I met Wright or the time of Kienitz' yearly tour - the friend took a photo of me in Wright's hat, but it is too dark. I remember on that trip we were invited to Hillside for lunch.

I also have a bad 8mm movie of the outside of Taliesin, made the same time, i believe, that I took two 35mm photos of Wright coming out of the Spring Green high school after giving a talk there. If you send me your E Mail address I can send those two photos of Wright.

Missouri is damp and that 8mm movie from 1957 got partly ruined, though many parts of it are intact; its a home made movie from the fifties and suffering from being that. I don't know whether its worth putting on video and then perhaps on a short DVD or not.

Bernard Pyron bernardpyron@gmail.com 573 426-6026 But i am often on the computer and then the line will be busy.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: color slides of Taliesin Reply with quote

Thank you for such detailed information. I will be e-mailing you shortly with my chat page "name" in the subject line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: