Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Milton Stricker townhouse - Columbia City, WA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: For sale: Milton Stricker townhouse - Columbia City, WA Reply with quote

Milton Stricker-designed townhouse listed for $655K in Columbia City

David
jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some dramatic facades.
I'm more fond of Stricker's townhomes in the Mt Baker neighborhood though: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/1521-30th-Ave-S-98144/home/171046
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing Stricker and others to Wright makes clear the latter's mastery of composition, proportion, and integration of the features of both interior and exterior architecture.

Wright shows us the value of eliminating or minimizing the usual expanses of blank wall between the necessary features -- door, window, chimney, eave, base; fireplace, shelving, seating --
so that these elements become the architecture. Floors and ceilings are necessary expanses, so they are given texture or color.

In Stricker's case there are interesting interpenetrations of space, and elements shared between spaces. But the work we see here and in jay's link seems to show a lack of success in absorbing
and employing Wright's example; acres of stucco or wallboard are the result. In the latter case, the effect isn't enhanced by some curious furniture choices; in some rooms we are confronted with a
complete lack of scale, of pleasant proportions.

That's what I see in the photos; perhaps the photography is at least partially to blame . . .

S
jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't disagree, it's also worth noting that both of these Stricker examples are townhouses, constrained by the long-and-narrow rowhouse type layout, with only front and rear daylighting. It seems Stricker is perhaps most concerned with reaching that daylight as far into the homes as possible? In at least the 30th St. unit, the clean and open sight-lines seem to keep the home feeling "airy" and simple, without a sense of central-darkness that most rowhouses produce. I find it to be a success, in and of itself.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right; I was doing the apples/oranges thing. Me culpa -- again . . .

(I recall building two giant mitered-plywood mirror frames made for a low-rise apartment-or-condo lobby here -- a narrowing spiral of double-height space, all
to be dulled gold when finished. Dark. The giant mirrors were installed in two places on the canyon walls, above a hefty wainscot hiked up to chest height . . .)

Can we look at some Stricker single-family residential work ?

S
jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second home he built for himself, next to his first home (which sadly I've never been able to find photos of):
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/3211-S-Massachusetts-St-98144/home/488078

The home Ray Brandes built around the corner from his Wright designed home. The influence is obvious:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Sammamish/21430-SE-24th-St-98075/home/435561

And another neat one I was able to find:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kingston/28999-Gamble-Pl-NE-98346/home/2364837
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1995, FLWBC and the Taliesin Fellowship collaborated on a visit to Seattle. Milton opened his house, and the neighbor opened his, as well. Both wonderful. We saw Brandes, but not the Stricker nearby.

Milton's work is like FLW's in another aspect: Until you have experienced it first-hand, you haven't seen it. Though Milton's work was more subdued, he was easily in the same class of apprentices as E. Fay Jones and John Lautner.

While the Angeline St. house is indeed a townhouse, one of 4, it is at the west end of the structure, so there is a gap of about 20' between it and the neighboring house, giving light to the usually dark interior, while the two in the middle of the set have skylights in the waist of the units to bring in a modicum of ambient light.

The 30th Ave. foursome is like a subdued version of Angeline, with the one for sale at the north end, all four with central skylights. This address shows the interior furnished with a restraint that does not distract the viewer, while the Angeline unit is cluttered from end to end. Properly furnished, they would be practically indistinguishable. Although Angeline has the better views. (Does anyone with LA connections remember Angelyne?)
jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 30th Ave. foursome is like a subdued version of Angeline, with the one for sale at the north end, all four with central skylights.

Interesting about the skylights. The satellite view from Google maps does appear to show skylights on the 30th Ave building, but none of the listing photos indicate that there's a skylight. As the unit I linked is the northern (end) unit, it does appear that there's a small side window coming off the kitchen and also upstairs outside of the bathroom. I also reviewed two other 30th Ave realtor listings that I'd recently linked (on the Cranfill apartments HHH thread), and I also couldn't see any evidence of skylights in those units either.... As the main living space is on the lower level, and the staircase is at the front of the unit, plus utilities/bathroom in the center of the upstairs, I wonder how gainful a skylight would be, anyhow.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay, I saw the little squares on Google, and assumed they were skylights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: