Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Request aid completing Survey of Usonian Perforated Boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pharding: Thank you. My memory isn't bad, I just don't trust it.
Great to have a date on the plans and know that the changes came during construction.
Do we know if Howe did the plans at Taliesin and was involved in the construction?
I will add the Glore House onto my Getty & Taliesin research. I'd love to see that building sheet and locate letters from the site to Taliesin about it.

You are right we all owe a great deal to second and third owners whose vitality and stewartship keep these buildings alive.

Everyone- please add to my request list the following:
Charles F. Glore House, 1951
S.341; T. 5107
Lake Forest, IL
As Pharding has related: plans dated 10/52 show perforated blocks for the upper clerestory; wooden perfs were substituted during construction
NEED: better photographs of the wood perfs in situ would be greatly appreciated. (My photographs from the 2007 FLWBC are very dark.)

Wrightgeek has provided a photo of the seldom seen Sunday House perf, a sweet patterned unit.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RA- I do not have my disk here with the monograph of Glore so I will send additional questions on later. But I apparently missed the studio/the earlier tool shed at the Conference visit...is it off the carport?
I am interested in the garage addition with direct copies. It isn't hard to make template of these designs, glad they did. Thank you.
Yes, it is a gigantic house. Just imagine what all these McMansions could have been!
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second floor windows shown on the drawings on the North Facade are shown as wood windows. The precast concrete windows are shown within masonry walls on the first floor facades.
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: perforated boards Reply with quote

Palli Davis Holubar wrote:
RE: LAMBERSON HOUSE How exciting! THANK YOU. I won't be able to check the library for the Monographs (I wish I owned them) until tomorrow but...Taliesin may have published your revised plan...I can't imagine I missed them...some plans don't show a design just the annotation. WOW! You have the blueprints that show the perf design. Drawn on the elevations and/or a separate drawing on a detail sheet showing the perforated unit?
Are you having inquiries about a residency in the House as you research and lay your plans? We are so lucky you have the energy and the will to purchase and take care of this house. Thank you.

paul,
tomorrow i will look through the plans and try to photograph the details. it is very possible, in fact, likely, that taliesin does not have what i have. loren knox, the previous owner, got these copies directly from bill lamberson, the son of jack lamberson, the original owner. when i was at the getty researching their drawings, i do not remember seeing these sheets. because they were preliminary, they might not have been saved. it's definitely worth investigating. the perforated boards are shown on the elevation and a separate sheet.

as for the residency in the house, we are in the process of interviewing a potential tenant. we are trying to get someone who appreciates wright and will be flexible to accommodate our brief visits to the property and restorations. because of this, we are not asking for a lot of money....we need a caretaker-tenant-fan.

let me know if you have any more questions.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: perf survey Reply with quote

PHarding- thank you. To clarify for me: "Wooden windows" specification (without any other annotation saying perforated boards?) on revised plans dated Oct. 1, '52. Therefore the published elevations in Monographs were first since Taliesin uses 1951. As in the Lamberson case in a previous posting, the sheet your firm used may not be in the Taliesin collection and there were no additional sheets showing the perf design among them.

Peterm, thank you again. The Getty would not have the plans, only communications; but there are sketches on writing paper occasionally. Do you have Getty copies of the letters back and forth during construction? Any mention of the change? Are your plans dated? Can't wait to see the design... but all in its own time
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawings showed standard windows, not perforated windows.
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another perforated window project, the Wilson House.

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=3025
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHarding, yes, standard wooden frame window...out of curiosity only...were they square like the concrete block windows on the first floor or the standard Usonian 4 foot clerestory rectangle?
Yes, the lovely B-W House is # 42.
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were long rectangles.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but peterm raised an extremely important point relative to prints or copies of prints of Wright projects: blueprints left with the owners or builders may be the only remaining record of an iteration of the design.

Wright's office erased portions of drawings to make changes...the ghosts of some of the erasures are visible on the Sweeton drawings. I counted four distinct versions of the Sweeton house in the various sets of blueprints I have seen. Given that the originals were altered each time a change was made, and that record prints may or may not have been carefully kept or filed by Taliesin pre-BBP, the recorded history of a design may only exist in prints not in the FLLW Archives.

If you are in possession of blueprints make sure you have backup copies (I've scanned what I have of Sweeton) and keep the original prints in a safe place.

Now back to this really great discussion of perforated boards...I'm surprised they haven't been examined until now.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN!
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are photos of the early blueprints of lamberson: elevations, details, and color photo of portion of the house as built from later blueprints:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31185895@N06/sets/72157608205827140/

also, have you thought about native american designs from blankets, rugs, and basket decorations as a source of inspiration for wright here? to me it's undeniable.

thoughts?
donaldaucutt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Request aid completing Survey of Usonian Perforated Boards Reply with quote

Ms. Holubar. Call me at 906 563 8837 if you'd like more information on the Manson House perforated boards. I own the house. Donald Aucutt
therman7g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Usonian Perforated Boards Reply with quote

Would anyone know what house this perforated board is from?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8710390@N06/2958760017/sizes/o/
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Usonian Perforated Boards Reply with quote

therman7g wrote:
Would anyone know what house this perforated board is from?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8710390@N06/2958760017/sizes/o/

Purely a guess... but possibly from the exhibition Usonian on the Guggenheim site? Uncharacteristically rectilinear....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: