John Lloyd Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
PeteyB711

John Lloyd Wright

Post by PeteyB711 »

Hello All - I just ordered a book on Lloyd Wright's Architecture and I am familiar with several of his works. Are any of John Lloyd Wright's works worthy of mention and how long did he practice?

Post by Guest »

If I'm not mistaken, John's claim to fame is that he invented Lincoln Logs. He perhaps inspired architects in that way. I'm not aware of any individual works. Brother Lloyd has many outstanding designs to his credit that deserve more attention than has been afforded them.

rgrant

Post by rgrant »

Another of John's notable accomplishments is the book about his father, "My Father Who Is On Earth." I have seen only two of his designs published: his own house, which is quite good, and a project. I don't know the extent of his architectural practice, but it was centered in the San Diego area.

DRN

Post by DRN »

This is a link to a good bio of JLW and partial list of his projects in San Diego:

[http://wwwmodernsandiego.com/JLWright.html]

Jerry K.

Post by Jerry K. »

My memory could be wrong, but didn't John Lloyd Wright do several buildings in and around Michigan City, Indiana?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Yes, he lived and built in Michigan City for years. One of his works is, as I recall, a National Guard Armory near the lakefront. A local once took me around to see the buildings, including apartments and and several houses, but I don't know if they've been published or if a guide is available.

Post by Guest »

There is currently one on the market in La Jolla (CA):

http://www.architectureforsale.com/addr ... rty_ID=553

SDR

Post by SDR »

In 1982 the Chicago Historical Society published a small book entitled "Barry Byrne * John Lloyd Wright * Architecture & Design" in conjunction with an exhibition of that name. In it we learn that John (Lloyd Wright's younger brother) lived in Chicago, Japan, Long Beach (Indiana) and Del Mar (California), and built at least 68 structures, mostly houses, with another 28 unbuilt projects listed. In addition to the famous Loncoln Logs, he also designed Wright Blocks and Timber Toy wood construction block sets.

SDR