Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

E. Fay Jones House for sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Craig,
Based on your extensive knowledge of EFJ do you think those metal brackets that are holding up the roof on the left side of the photo are original?

I have visited quite a number of EFJ houses and never seen anything like that.

Paul, based on what I have seen, they seem to be a Jones design. There are a few homes I have seen where this was a part of the structure. A home in Fairfield Bay, AR, which I visited, has these same type of structure/design elements. It is a great element. Jones put designs everywhere!
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did this with Thorncrown Chapel, though that was a single truss, I think Jones was and is a great architect. His designs are, in my opinion, to be so outside the box that it still is somehow very livable and functional as with any space he designed, weather a religious structure, Pavilion or residential,etc... he still managed to create something that was beautiful and functional.
My thoughts and words:
"When I saw Thorncrown back in 1999, I was just awed, even at the age of 9, I didn't know who designed it but I just kept looking up and to the side as the lights seemed to go on into infinity. I think at the age of 9 I think that is what inspired me to go onto thinking of art and Architecture.... Jones, Wright , Goff all influenced me to design and Architectural ideas. Coupled with that the Mid Century Modern principals it just seemed for me to start on my own."

Jones will be missed but like Wright and Goff their impact and influence on the Architectural world will never be forgotten.
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Stoneflower Reply with quote

The home is still for sale. It is listed at the top of this link. Contact Doug Magee.

Last edited by hypnoraygun on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypno the last photo reminds me of a cave..... E Fay Jones was a great designer...
Just inspiring
Wrighter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypno, thanks for the photos, as always. As a Jones expert, what's your opinion of that blue color on the Branson house? I know the house in Lebanon is also painted blue. Do you think that color matches Jones intentions? Is that color a regular part of his palette?

I notice on your pictures on the Branson house, the support beams for the upper floor are painted that same blue. I don't imagine that's what Jones had in mind, but what about that blue color in general? Did Jones use it a lot for building exteriors?
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Another home for sale... Reply with quote

This one is in Harrison, AR. I have visited this home. It is in excellent shape. It has had several owners, but all have been very very kind to the home. Here is the MLS realtor page.

$375,000. This home was originally built for a LOT more than that!! And there is just about no way a home like this could be built today.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1520-West-Park-Avenue_Harrison_AR_72601_1116684743
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Suggestions? Reply with quote

I realize what ever I end up doing, there will be "problems" with it, but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought...Since most of you use books like this.

My E. Fay Jones guide book is similar in shape and concept to Storrer and Heinz's books. (two separate books, links below)

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Field-Guide/dp/0810122448

http://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Complete/dp/0226776204/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282876723&sr=1-1

Both books are good, but I prefer Heinz's book. It has a photo, the address and a mini map on the page, as well as basic information about the home.

This is the path I am thinking about continuing with.. But in order to make the maps readable, I may need to have a fairly large map image, which is not the most pleasing to the eye..

Storrer has his maps all in the back of his book.. They are referred to by page/map numbers.. This would be a lot easier, and probably better looking. (not that the actual book is going to win any design awards)

So.. What is your take? Maps on the page? Or maps at the back of the book? Any help is really appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypno-

How many building entries will you have?
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
I don't know if it is possible but I prefer these types of books to be spiral bound. That way you don't have to break the binding to get the book to stay open to a particular page.

Maps in the back would be fine.

An area map that shows all the houses in a city (say Fayetteville) and their relative geographic relationship to each other would be nice too.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 'map-in-back', too - as long as it is easily cross referenced from each home listing. And vice-versa.

David
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrightgeek, approx. 159..

Paul, I know what you are saying.. I don't think I can get it in spiral at this time..?.. I'm using Blurb.com to publish it, and they do not offer spiral bound.. That is a great idea.. I always have to cram something in the book to keep my spot.

The Fayetteville/Bentonville area maps are together, for sanity sake more than anything else.

It seems that "map in the back" is the leader so far. I think it would be easier anyway.. Thanks for the input!

TnGuy..Yes.. if I put them in the back, I will make sure they are cross referenced. Thanks!

And again, this thing isn't going to be perfect, but it will be done. The thing it will have, as a guarantee:
-The name of the home,
-98% will have a picture of some kind, maybe more than one
-map/directions on how to get there.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypno-

Wow, I had no idea you would have that many entries. I was going to suggest 2 pages per entry, which might have allowed the map to accompany the listing, but that does not seem feasible with so many listings. Based on that, I would also vote for the maps to be in a separate section to the rear of the book.

By the way Craig, thanks so much for taking on this very substantial project, which many fans of organic architechure will benefit immensely from. I can't wait to get my copy, autographed by the author, of course!
jhealy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnoraygun,

I looking through this discussion again, I noticed you reached out to me ... and I never responded. I just tried the email you gave in this thread but it bounced back. Is there another email I can try you at?

Thanks,
Jay
jhealy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this Jones' house for sale:

http://www.fayjoneshome.com/images.html

Jay
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicht schlect...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: