Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgrant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not impressed by Toker's research, and neither is Don Hoffmann, whose own book on Fallingwater is far better. Toker seems determined to be controversial. Like Gill, he imposes his own personality on the book. He also does not do a good job of examining the architecture of the house. He makes a lot about the stepped rail of the exterior stair to the third floor and some sort of imagined relationship to native American design. I would question everything in that book. E. J., Jr. was his own man, much more impressive than his father, and there is no good reason to doubt what he says.
Reidy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the word on Toker's book? He's too eager to find what he's already decided, and thus he draws stronger conclusions than his evidence will warrant, but has anyone found any serious inaccuracies?

The lack of architectural examination doesn't bother me. We have so much good material on this already, such as Hoffman's book and Edgar Jr's, but social history in this degree of detail, if it's accurate, is new and welcome.

PR
PNB GUEST

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest Borgnine as Olgivana - thats hillarious! Razz
JimM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrant wrote:
Oldham is too young to portray FLW in the 30s

True, but we are talking Hollywood, and I agree that his looks and performance in Immortal Beloved was uncannily Wrightesque. Hoffmans voice would have to be dubbed!

This is only one period in Wrights life and agree that a story about the house while more fascinating than those involved (other than Wright), would be difficult to market. Now if you went back to the prairie days....ego! fire! scandal! A natural.

I'd rather see a quality, comprehensive "biopic", especially after being disappointed by Burns. I imagine this has not been done due to both the unusual, long, and complicated career and personna of Wright.
rgrant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a very fine biography done by BBC in the 80s, produced by Scotsman, Murray Grigor, narrated by none other than Anne Baxter. The only factual error in the entire film was that retractable skylight in the living room of Hollyhock House legend. It may be hard to find, since it was made before DVDs came onto the market, and probably has not been reissued in that format, but occasionally a copy shows up. Grigor did one thing that Burns did not: When showing the interior of a FLW house, he kept the camera moving, which gives a much more accurate image than a still photograph. He also did not interview Brendad Gill.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More mindless fun. By the way, Happy New Year to all. This morning's Chicago Tribune Magazine (p. 6) had the results of the poll on who should play Wright in a supposedly upcoming movie. Two good choices cited may be John Mahoney who according to the article lives in Oak Park of all places and Jeff Bridges. Bridges demeanor is perfect but his size may be a problem. However, I would think the film makers could deal with that.
jrdet10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: FLW movie Reply with quote

This isn't terribly constructive, but neither is eating potato chips ... and this isn't fattening.

How about Jeff Bridges not as FLW but as EK?

John Mahoney is a character actor, not the type I would expect to be able to carry a typical Hollywood production ... but for some reason I think he could get the job done in a small-budget indie.

I'd hire Dustin Hoffman or, if I wanted to go way outside the box, Robin Williams. And if Bridges has been suggested for FLW's part, then why not Christopher Walken?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could not overcome Mr. Walken's NY accent. Spacey still a good choice.

Although this may appear as a mindless topic, if such a movie were

made and it was a considerable success, it could have implications for contributions, FLW home sales, course offerings... The Burns piece had such an effect to a lesser degree being a documentary and being offered on PBS. It also may be too bad that the proposed film will focus on a single period rather than a broader look at his life and work.
Bill Pardue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chicago Tribune magazine asked readers to suggest who should play Wright. See http://tinyurl.com/882ju. I thought Patrick McGoohan was an interesting suggestion.

What I'd really love to see is a film about life/work in the Oak Park studio. Besides Wright, I'd be fascinated in seeing who played Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony (especially!). Maybe Nicole Kidman with some extreme prosthetics (to play up the Aussie connection!).

--Bill Pardue
Bill Pardue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the post a couple above mine...perhaps I need to read more closely! Confused

Anyway, I did add the link for the article, so I hope that's considered a mild contribution!

--Bill Pardue
guestnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Bruckheimer film Reply with quote

I always figured that Jerry Bruckheimer could do a film about an earlier period in Mr. Wright's life than the Fallingwater period: the first Taliesin period. You've got murder and fire, which Bruckheimer would add his own "touch" to to make it seem as if Taliesin was filled with TNT when it burned: luxurious slow-motion fireballs taking up 1/3 of the film. If it "blows up real good", it is enough to satisfy the American film audience.
guestnow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Bruckheimer movie Reply with quote

Also, in the climax of this film, you'd have a fistfight between Wright and the villain atop the "Romeo and Juliet" windmill that ends with the villain dangling by his fingers on the edge, eventually falling to his doom.

The film would also feature those trendy slo-mo "bullet time" action sequences of architect's pencils hitting the paper.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the lurid * scenes between Wright and Ms. Chaney after he fled to Europe. Maybe imagined scenes of him visiting Geisha houses during his trips to Japan. Or sitting around the hookah in Baghdad with whoever was in charge back in the days when he was working on the plans for that city...
Spring Green

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bruckheimer movie Reply with quote

*laughs*

guestnow wrote:
The film would also feature those trendy slo-mo "bullet time" action sequences of architect's pencils hitting the paper.

Gene Masselink runs into the dining room and yells breathlessly, "Mr. Wright is drawing the commission for EJ!"

All the apprentices race out of the room to stand in awe outside the drafting studio.

"Jesus," Gene says, "I've never seen someone draw that fast!"

[ok, we're back into Fallingwater, but I suppose you could take the same scene for Midway Gardens, or the Arch Obeler cottage, or any # of others.]
guestnow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Or sitting around the hookah in Baghdad with whoever was in charge back in the days when he was working on the plans for that city...

If directed by Oliver Stone, Wright's visit to Baghdad would be a cover for some sort of proto-CIA operation that ends up putting in place an exact plan to bring about both Gulf/Iraq Wars decades later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: