Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright Movie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Wright Movie Reply with quote

This past week the Chicago Tribune had a small piece about a movie on Wright being made soon. They wanted to know who should play Wright.

Ken Burn's hair could do the trick but his acting may be suspect. How about Gregg Kinear - similar fine features, hasn't done a lot of movies, could pull off the ego but maybe a bit too comedic. Thoughts?
rgrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 80s a similar project was floating around Hollywood. At the time, I thought Dustin Hoffman would be the closest, physically, to Wright for the period the movie was to focus on, the Mamah era. But now he's a bit long in the tooth. Perhaps Kevin Spacey.
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bette Midler would be the perfect Miriam Noel.

Peter
Spring Green

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest is that Robert Duvall was approached to play FLW, while Gene Hackman is in talks to play EJ.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a fun parlor game.. who do we want cast as:

Liliane K., EJ jr., Olgivanna, Edgar Tafel, Bob Mosher, Wes Peters?

Which character will be made the villain in all this? The GC? The concrete sub-contractor? The engineers from Metzger-Richardson?

Will Wes Peters or Mendel Glickman be unjustly portrayed as inept due to the recent structural issues?

Which character will be the comic relief?
rgrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liliane: Charlize Theron; EJ, Jr.: Ryan Phillippe; Olgivanna: Ernest Borgnine; Edgar Tafel: Heath Leger; Bob Mosher: Philip Seymour Hoffman, with a curly wig; Wes Peters: Vince Vaughn. Ernest Borgnine always plays the villain. Pauly Shore in the role of Abrom Dunbar would provide comic relief.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this on the Scripps-Howard News Service, thought I would share it. Sounds pretty legit?

SHOW-BUSINESS BRIEFS

The latest news tidbits about actors, musicians, Hollywood and other celebrities:

Academy Award winner Robert Duvall has been approached to portray famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, and another Oscar winner, Gene Hackman, is in talks to play department-store mogul Edgar J. Kaufmann, in the film adaptation of the book, "Fallingwater Rising," by Franklin Toker.

Toker says he signed a two-year option last month to have the book turned into a movie. SCOUT Productions _ the company behind the 2004 Oscar-winning documentary "The Fog of War" and the Bravo TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" _ tentatively is on tap to develop the book into a film about the architect's most famous American house, Toker says. _ L.A. JOHNSON, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong period for Miriam Noel, but maybe Bette as Liliane. Liliane and Junior, as Toker presented them, could be Oscar-worthy supporting parts for somebody. Too bad Anne Bancroft isn't around.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was covered on a past post and is interesting...I challenge anyone to deny Gary Oldham the role of Wright. It was my first thought when I saw him portray Beethoven in Immortal Beloved, a fitting precursor.
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrant wrote:
Olgivanna: Ernest Borgnine;.

Outrageously hillarious (the resemblance is uncanny!)

Wright is the only critical call, and Oldham is far and away the perfect choice. I see no one else pulling it off. Robert Duvall? Great actor but I would never buy into it. His head is too small!
rgrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldham is too young to portray FLW in the 30s when he was in his 70s. Duvall is too big. Perhaps Dustin could play it, after all. Compare their profiles and height. Perfect match.
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about Toker's book is what part of it the movie might recount. One of his most interesting stories is his debunking of Junior's claim to have been the "real" client, who discovered Wright and brought him to Edgar and Liliane, whose only role in turn was putting up the money. He didn't start saying this, though, until after Wright and the elder Kaufmanns were dead and long after the building was finished.

Maybe the story of the building's origins could be a flashback, starting late in his life and going back to the 30s.
rgrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, Peter, the only way a movie about Fallingwater will ever be made is if it is ultimately about *, death and money. Perhaps it could center on an affair between E J and Bob Mosher. There's plenty of money all over the place, and Liliane died. But the house will never be the subject of any film.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did EJjr. start "inflating" his perceived role?

At the time I attended a lecture he gave at Carnegie Mellon in Fall '86, he noted that his contribution to the outcome was small: the caning of the wardrobe shelves and the fluorescent strip lighting at the living room window sill/radiator covers. In fact, he described these as his "mere footnotes to a great work".

He seemed modest, pleasant, aloof, but still generous with his time and willing to answer all the stupid and not so stupid questions a room full of 18 to 23 year-old architecture students ask.
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toker does not say that Edgar Jr. inflated his role in the creation of the house itself, but rather in its origins. He claimed that he discovered Wright through the Autobiography, went to Taliesin on his own initiative, introduced his parents to Wright and went along on the first site visit. Toker challenges all of these claims and a few others.

Junior struck me as a charming and most intelligent guy the one time I saw him in action (at the 88 Conservancy conference), but Toker makes an impressive case no less for that. (For all his unwordliness, he left an estate of $100 million, mostly by virtue of his art collecting. Even adjusted for inflation, that is probably more than the $10 million that his father, the big tycoon, left.)

Peter

Last edited by Reidy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: