Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

1949 Taliesin Origami Chair - Dimensions? Sketches? Drawing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general agreement? I know you are new to this chat room, but you must be kidding.

That question would be like asking this group which plan would be Wright's best.
Some would say his L plans, others would favor his square module plans,
and others might prefer 60/120 degree module plans.
As for his folded plywood easy chair you will not find two alike. The designs change and vary, along with the skill of the craftsman building them.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know if and where the poster has found plans to purchase. A complete list of published Origami Chair plans (if any) would be vital, at this point, to continue the discussion. As in any scholarly (or culinary) pursuit, we want all to be working from the same list of ingredients !

Eric, have you seen plans for sale ?

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(the chairs look great, nice work)
dtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, perhaps you are up to doing a study on the folded plywood chairs that were designed pre 1959?
Or our dear friend and colleague Palli might like to tackle this subject ?

To name a few original clients that had the chairs built from the get go: Rubins, Sturges, Shavins.
Eric James

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again...

No, I was not kidding. I realize I'm brand new to this "discussion" and am trying to board a train that has already left the station. Nevertheless, I've tackled over twenty pieces of furniture over the last three years, including obscure Gustav Stickley, Limbert and Onondoga chairs, library tables, tabourets, servers, etc. - plus two FLW chairs - using only a Festool, a chisel and a palm sander. So I feel ready to challenge myself on this complicated piece. I like the simplicity (and seemingly relative "ease" of the Korman version), but can't locate him for plans. Next on my list would be to order the plans from Fitzwilliam, and then... have at it. Thanks.
dtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to discourage you but the" Mission" furniture you sight is relatively straight forward. Mortice and tenon joints and many 90 degree angles.

As simple as the plywood (origami) chair looks, most carpenters I know need to create a number of mock-ups to build it correctly.
So have a go at it... document it...& post some pics. We would love to see it.
J.Meyers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Easy Chair Reply with quote

Eric, we recently purchased the McCartney House. The owner's built 60% of the listed furniture. They never executed the chairs. Margo has searched Archives for the missing Chair that was called out on several of the plan sheets for the McCartney house. Would love to build two for McCartney someday.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be "cite," I think. What kind of Festool do you have, Eric ? They make a whole line of woodworking devices. Even (especially ?) as a beginner I wouldn't think of proceeding without the use of a table saw -- and a jointer and planer, for furniture like the Stickley pieces. I don't know whether to congratulate you or cluck my tongue . . . !

The bevel cuts in plywood, required for the Origami Chair, almost scream for a horizontal (sliding) panel saw with tilt blade. But I suppose most of them have been built without that "luxury."

So, someone called Fitzwilliam has plans for the Origami ? Can you be specific ? Any others out there ?

It sounds like you'd be willing and able to make a Hepplewhite breakfront with your bare teeth, if you took a mind to do so -- so have at it, by all means. I'm sure you've perused the Taliesin drawings published earlier in this thread. I absolutely agree that at least one mock-up, to determine cut angles and (more importantly, perhaps) to judge the comfort of the selected dimensions, before proceeding with the final chair, is an indispensable step -- if a successful outcome is the goal.

SDR
Eric James

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dtc! I will build at least one mock-up, for sure. Re: my reference to Korman... does he have plans? I have no idea how to reach him...?
dtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Korman?
I'm not familiar with that name.
Eric James

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korman is Korman Woodworks, as seen about halfway through Page 1 of this discussion (note the photo of the chair with the purple upholstery). I've tried every which way to reach him/them - to see if plans are available for the chair in that photo. No luck. Maybe I'm missing something...
sjnorris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korman Woodworks is no longer in business . The chair with the Purple upholstery is the JOHN HOWE version and plans are available from the The Northwest Architectural Archives 612-625-3550 ask for Barbara Bezat she should be able to help .
Eric James

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffrey Fitzwilliam, Designer/Craftsman/Artist
http://www.fitzwilliam.com

at one time he sold plans for his version of the Origami Chair, but it seems like the FLW Fdn has persuaded him to desist.

You can contact him directly at: geoffrey@fitzwilliam.com
Eric James

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You. Yes, I have been in touch with Geoffrey, just haven't had the time to tackle this project. I think Geoffrey is the guy to talk to...

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: