Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

1949 Taliesin Origami Chair - Dimensions? Sketches? Drawing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant lower right. You can see why I might have a struggle on my hands making a chair when I can't tell the two apart. : )
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This addendum may be helpful: The red lines I've added to the plan below show where the canted planes on either side of the rear "fin" would land on the seat board. The lines already present (at 45˚) show the top ends of these canted planes, where they butt against the "bat-cape" or antimacassar crest of the chair . . .

SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to reproduce other portions of this drawing sheet. I've studied all parts of it carefully, and I believe a maker is better served by the two views given on the previous page. The drafter isn't kidding when he says "do not scale" -- he or she would have been more honest to add "don't rely on all given dimensions." It soon becomes clear that many of the dimensions given on one part of the sheet do not agree with those for the same part given elsewhere. I believe the breakdown of parts "helpfully" given on the right side of the drawing is less than useless, and will only perplex the long-suffering craftsman without enlightening him in any meaningful way.

[As you see, the drawings I've reproduced at large scale are from a different sheet than the one shown earlier. I am not able to read most dimensions of the earlier (TAA) sheet even when enlarged; I don't recall where that scan came from. The two sheets are laid out identically, however, and I assume the parts and dimensions are identical. The TAA chair has what appear to be three cut-outs in the rear fin; readers may find a chair somewhere which matches that detail -- which might date the sheet as a result. The sheet I have, and excerpt immediately above, is presumably earlier in origin.]

Better to study photos (there are lots online, and earlier in this thread). Select the one(s) which best seem to match these drawings, and proceed to figure it out from there, making a rough model to start and refining dimensions and angles as you go.

Best of luck !

SDR
Denny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's ok. I'll take your word for it. I'll update once I take the next step. I have some solid ideas for moving forward on the next chair. Thanks for the input.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to photograph your first chair from a sufficient distance to get a good "side elevation," and compare that to the drawing ?

SDR
Denny

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Final Chair Reply with quote

I finally got my act together and had the chair upholstered. I think it turned out pretty good. Planning on another. Will dial in the process a little bit.

chair by infinity616, on Flickr
pcollier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Chair inspired by this Forum Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to give a quick Thank You to everybody that posted on this forum. I wanted to build my own set of "origami" chairs, but hadn't the slightest clue where to start when I decided to take on the project at the beginning of July. Working off of some of the plans here, I made a cardboard prototype and finally completed the chairs and upholstry last week.

I'd be happy to share the dimensions, cut angles, etc I used with anybody upon request, just send me an email. In the next post I'll share a picture of the finished product.
pcollier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Origami Chair finished product Reply with quote

The image:

capie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody. I wright from italy rome. i want to realize the origami chair how i can do ? please write soon
can you post the executive project of the chair?
expecially the work of mr. pcollier
thanks carlo
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, pcollier. Thanks for sharing the photo.
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! There's is one detail which you might want to consider adding, that is the solid wood fascia which would cover the front edge of the plywood seat.

Notice how the fascia wraps around the side of the chair and tapers inward paralleling the seat cushion. This detail adds refinement to the whole, and creates the illusion of an intersection of the vertical and horizontal. A nice example of Wright's sleight of hand...
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fascia would be just one of a number of variations and refinements, further demonstrating that each maker's Origami is a unique effort, more or less. Note the differences between the ones assumed to be Lautner's version, at the Sturges house, with those seen at Taliesin. The new examples shown above push the limits even further ! Who can say what is or is not an Origami ?

Sturges

http://everywheremag.com/photos/7710
Paul Cloutier photo

(Why would we want one exposed plywood edge covered, and not all of them, I wonder ?) Among the many detail variations are width and termination angle of the arms, breadth of the seat back, treatment of the "spine" at the rear (if present), and the amount of "toe" that touches the floor. The (later ?) Taliesin chair shown above even introduces a new piece, the foot that appears from inside the side panel and extends forward to the floor . . .

At this point, I would say that a novice maker would do himself a favor by attempting a recreation entirely from photos, via the use of models and mock-ups, until he is satisfied. As I have noted elsewhere, the Taliesin drawings we have are filled with internal inconsistencies. Among early Origamis there is plenty of variation from which to choose . . .

Still, those who take every trouble to duplicate a known Taliesin-sourced example -- as, for instance, Peter and Stafford did -- are to be commended.

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who wish to follow an original recipe, here are plan and section of the chair from a late-40's Taliesin sheet.

Note that, in the second view, even the intersection of seat and back isn't a right angle. This chair explodes for all time the notion that Mr Wright could only design with the triangle and T-square !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that the front "toes" on the Origamis would wreak havoc on any floor covering. I would hesitate to put one on a very expensive rug. Just getting into and out of the chair would grind those points through the fabric.
Rood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
It would seem to me that the front "toes" on the Origamis would wreak havoc on any floor covering. I would hesitate to put one on a very expensive rug. Just getting into and out of the chair would grind those points through the fabric.

Mr. Wright added the inside "foot" or "toe" to the design to prevent the chairs from tipping, a hazard whenever someone tried to get out of the chair, something I can attest was a feature of the chair in my room. If you weren't careful you'd be literally thrown across the room.

In the original design the front "toe" did have a tendency to "grind" into the flooring. While the added inner toe looks pointed, it actually extends a flat foot onto the floor, which serves to minimize both problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: