Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

La Miniatura
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Kuhn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: La Miniatura Reply with quote

Saw in the new Architectural Digest that the Millard house is for sale for 7.5 million, but can't find a listing on Realtor.com.

Does anybody know anything? Maybe it sold quickly.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://la.curbed.com/

Interesting article: http://www.architectureforsale.com/press_details.php?nid=29
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw this off topic....our office has the May issue of Arch Digest in the lobby. In the last couple of pages, is an ad for Henry Hall Designs outdoor furniture....the setting for the photo is the living room terrace of the Mrs. Clinton Walker house. Nice detail of the windows.

Back to topic...La Minatura

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/04/rumormongering_2.php
josquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: La Miniatura for Sale Reply with quote

Ad in the Los Angeles Times Real Estate Section 7.13.08:

"La Minitura, architecturally one of the World's most important residences, is now available for private acquisition." Contact Mossler & Doe

No price is mentioned.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REAL ESTATE LISTING:
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/resources/estates/2008/05/estates

ARTICLE:
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/04/rumormongering_2.php?o=8
josquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: La Miniatura for Sale 2 Reply with quote

Now Listing for $7.7 million.

http://www.architectureforsale.com/address.php?property_ID=752
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I would like to see an exterior photo of the northeast corner where the kitchen and bathrooms are located. The whole corner had sunk to such a degree that it looked dangerous. I wonder if it was fixed.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos on the architectureforsale page linked by Josquin are quite revealing; most of them are previously unpublished views, and give even seasoned Wright fanatics fresh information about the house.

SDR
pharding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Those are high quality photographs.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Storrer book is still in Lancaster, so please excuse the dumb question:
Is the wing in the foreground of the first pic in the ArchitectureForSale listing an addition? It sits well with the house, but I thought I remembered the house being more of a "cube in a forested glen".

The house looks great. SDR is right, the photos really give us a first look at the interiors that we've only known in plan. The photos give me the sense of the house's kinship to some interior spaces in the original Biltmore buildings.

Thanks to josquin for posting the pic link.
pharding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The house had a studio addition. I believe that it is by Lloyd Wright. I have been to four Lloyd Wright projects. He was a fine, but certainly not an exceptional architect. The addition shown here could have been handled better.
Reidy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last 2 photos are interiors of the Lloyd Wright addition.
Wrighter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always heard the old man "approved" his son's addition, but I've always wondered what that meant. Does anyone know the level of approval? Did he simply sign off on Lloyd as architect of the expansion before any plans were made, or did he get a look at the plans or a rough outline of the addition, and say something along the lines of , "well, that doesn't disgrace us"?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter Six of Robert L Sweeney's "Wright in Hollywood" contains the pertinent information. From p 175: ". . . 1925 she approached Wright about building a gallery. . .When she received no response for three months, she gave the commission to Lloyd, with the condition that the plan be submitted to Wright for approval. . . Work was completed in 1926. Given the moniker "Doll's House," the work pleased neither the client nor elder Wright [sic], although Wright approved the plan before construction, with the comment, 'Lloyd seems to have done very well.' " "Although most sources state that Wright did design a gallery in 1925, no record of it has been found."

Elevations and two plans labeled by Sweeney "Alice Millard gallery (project)," with FLLW Foundation numbers, are shown, leaving me unsure if these are drawings of the built gallery.

Other building projects for the property and its adjacent lot(s) are discussed. Readers are advised to consult this volume for further information.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot plan published in Sweeney. The large vertical rectangle bridging lots 10 and 10A is the gallery.

The house is shown with its garage (bridging the lot line to the left). The structure shown on lot 11 is
presumably one of the rental houses Alice Millard asked of Wright, and which he assigned to several apprentices.
She found only the one drawn by J Howe to have any promise; none of them were built.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: