Article on Kalil and Zimmerman

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SWSinDC

Article on Kalil and Zimmerman

Post by SWSinDC »

Here's a July, 2005 article I stumbled across on FLLW's two houses in New Hampshire: boston.com/yourlife/home/articles/2005/ ... ighborhood. The site should allow you to peruse the article and pictures (be sure to click the link in the midst of the article text) without demanding that you register.

Zimmerman is a real gem--hope to visit in the near future. Kalil's interior is striking, especially the view of the numerous windows piercing the concrete (similar to the now-available Turkel House). But the Usonian Automatic concrete exterior is bracing, especially in the context of the wooded landscape (thought it makes for a lovely detached in-law gulag...er, apartment).

rgrant

Post by rgrant »

As handsome as Kalil is, what has always bothered me about the house is the fact that there are only two egresses, the front entry and the French doors by the dining area. The enclosed nature of the bedroom wing, and even of the living room, is disturbing. I'm surprised it meets code.

Post by Guest »

Can't help thinking those blocks with glass in them would cost around $200 each these days, what with double glazing requirements and all. I doubt it's now possible for a person to make these by themselves - and you glazier would be rubbing his hands together in glee.

I wonder how FLW would approach the same problem today?