Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Poll: Anonymous posting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the administrator of this message board develop and implement a policy allowing only registered users the ability to post messages?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Requires further discussion
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

flwright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Poll: Anonymous posting Reply with quote

With respect to recent discussions about anonynous posting, perhaps this is an opportune time to poll the users of this message board about thightened restrictions for a Guest's ability to post messages.
Reidy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for privacy, if you want to keep a secret, don't post to Wright Chat.

Peter
pharding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only message board of which I am aware that permits anonymous posts by visitors. This board will be more meaningful and intersting if each poster is registered and lists a location.
rgrant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I disagree with your point of view. It is just as likely for registered posters to be rude, stupid and boring, and for guests to have something of interest to share. Knowing who's who does nothing to raise the bar.
Wrighter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: posting policy Reply with quote

My objections to a switch in policy start with a practical one. I have one main computer in which my login information is saved. Should I ever post away from that computer--I would frankly be at a loss to remember my login information.

I also find it easy in general to ignore nasty, off-topic, or malicious posts. And given that registration is such an easy process, I wonder if requiring it would really be a preventive measure of any kind. Isn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: anonymous posting Reply with quote

Speaking as an owner of a Wright house, I like the option of being able to participate in this very public forum while protecting my privacy. (If anyone is truly interested in a particular house, there are ways to identify and contact the owners - who are generally more than happy to talk about their houses!) I may be among the minority of poll respondents, but I hope the Conservancy recognizes that there those who are reluctant to advertise their identities on the worldwide web who may, nonetheless, have something of value to contribute.
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both points of view! The only advantage to registering would be the possibility of reducing the number of personal attacks.

In the end, you can only hope for the best. Of course, charging even a small posting fee would eliminate them completely! .... and I'm sure someone out there will think I'm serious about that.
pharding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: anonymous posting Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Speaking as an owner of a Wright house, I like the option of being able to participate in this very public forum while protecting my privacy. (If anyone is truly interested in a particular house, there are ways to identify and contact the owners - who are generally more than happy to talk about their houses!) I may be among the minority of poll respondents, but I hope the Conservancy recognizes that there those who are reluctant to advertise their identities on the worldwide web who may, nonetheless, have something of value to contribute.

It is possible to be a registered user and do so anonymously. The FLW Building Conservancy is extremely discrete when it comes to protecting the identity of homeowners.
pharding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrant wrote:
Paul, I disagree with your point of view. It is just as likely for registered posters to be rude, stupid and boring, and for guests to have something of interest to share. Knowing who's who does nothing to raise the bar.

This modest change will only bring this board up to industry standards for chat boards and make it more useful and civil. Posting here should be a privilege and not a birthright. The implication to the poster is that privileges can be rescinded. One can be registered and remain anonymous. An identity, even an anonymous identity, and location will make reading the posts more meaningful. This will also serve to reduce spam. Another advantage if one finds a registered user to be a bore, like pharding for example, one can turn off posts by that registered user.
K. Bringe - Unity Temple

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Civility and Dialogue Reply with quote

It's a measure of Mr. Wright's genius that he still evokes such passion.

That said, previous requests for basic manners and respect by the Administrator have gone unheeded and it is now in their hands.

I agree that registration is necessary but a registration type that will allow homeowners to feel safe -- yet allow the administrator to ban those childish posters who choose to abuse this privelage.

One more thing -- I hope everyone who derives benefits from this board also contributes to the Conservancy.
dkottum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum has served well for many levels of FLLW enthusiasts, whether looking for solutions to a building problem, announcing events, or simply chatting about the architecture. The rude and profane will surface now and then, whether registered or not. So what. Let them live in their miserable world. But lets encourage participation, even from those who may be stupid and boring, which may be most of us.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN
???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to chat rooms in general. This topic is interesting however. Has it ever been suggested that the members of a chat room agree and abide by a code that all aggressive and rude posts are completely ignored thus employing the psychological behavioral concept of "extinction." It works in all species form the lowly rat to the lowly human... Just a thought. Furthermore, I agree with the thought that new users of a chat room are more likely to initially participate if their participation is anonymous; worked for me. Finally, if this chat room is unique in this respect, it is an interesting experiment and should be given more debate. Mr. Wright might have appreciated such anonymity and the freedom of choice to further new thinking. Then again, his disdain for the "mobocracy" may have dictated otherwise.
dkottum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: The poll Reply with quote

By the way, there is a built-in glitch in the above poll that predetermines the outcome. If you are not registered, you cannot vote.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the glitch in the poll too and would have voted "no" (in favor of anonymity).
none

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote not to register.

Take a look at the FLW Forum. There you have to register to post. That board is dead. At least here we have some volume. If we had a ton of posters then I would say one must register. We only have a hanful of posters and registering does not make sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: