Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

$22,100!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamiensGreve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: $22,100!! Reply with quote

Anybody want to comment on the Ebay album?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6148498356
Pat Mahoney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Taliesin 1 Album Reply with quote

For those of you that realized what this album was.... $22,100 doesn't seem like a bad price. If you follow credit card ads, 34 previously unknown photos of Taliesin before the 1914 fire.... Priceless!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be many other photos of the 1st Taliesin before the fire? Look at all the photos of Mr. Wright's first residence in Oak Park. Whoever paid $22k for these photos has lost a lot of money! Ha ha ha....
Spring Green

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: $22k a good price? Reply with quote

For TI there are 60 or so photos, before the 25 never-before seen in this album. So, not as much as one would think. And there are 2 photos in the album of 1 room of which no known other photos exist. More analagous might be to ask how many photos are there of the Oak Park house from 1889-1892.

Personally, I didn't think it would go for that much, but then again, I'm really bad at the "Antiques Roadshow guessing game". I think the price is also related to the fact that it's a set, was made early in Taliesin's history, and some experts out there think that some of the photos were taken by Wright.
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe some/all of these photos were either taken by Wright, or at least supervised by him. The unusual number of landscape photos, as well as the triptych view of the, living room attest to this. Not to mention the interesting cover page. I would love to see early photos of the home & studio (like the self-taken one of Frank lounging on his front terrace!).

I was somewhat surprised at the price, but then again, who else has one of these? It is only money to someone. I'm just glad I asked the seller for the digital files at home in my computer. I bring a different one up daily as my desktop!

BTW, why doesn't Taliesin or the other FLLW groups (Martin, TPI, etc) make more of these fascinating photos available to be seen? What are their existence/websites really for, if they don't attempt to share their wealth with the public?
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re:$22,100!! Reply with quote

FYI-

For those who may not have already seen this article or heard the story behind the bidding on eBay for this Taliesin I photo album/journal, clink on the link below.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/10796198.htm
JimM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How neat! It's great they did not end up in private hands.

Research on them is certain, and maybe the photographer will come to light. They were taken in different seasons, but apparently by the same person considering the similarity and quality of the framed views. And why would a local end up with prints taken by a professional? Could Wright have assembled the portfolio, and then gave it away after the disaster?

Wright was known to have taken his camera out and about the valley before Taliesin was built. Who else had interest in so many photos of land he intended to acquire some day? Wink
Spring Green

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Jim wrote: Reply with quote

"BTW, why doesn't Taliesin or the other FLLW groups (Martin, TPI, etc) make more of these fascinating photos available to be seen? What are their existence/websites really for, if they don't attempt to share their wealth with the public?"

I think it's a time issue, and probably a photo repro rights issue. No one is sure who really has the rights right now and that can land a lot of little non-profits in a lot of hot water.

I think it's very possible that locals ended up w/something like this. It's a small town, and if you figure that the Dana house furniture was sitting out on the front sidewalk in 194-- and couldn't sell when it was priced for a quarter, it's totally conceivable. I even met a woman from Spring Green whose dad was a farmer and friendly with Wright. She told me that Wright designed their pighouse. And that is *not* in Storrer.
therman7g

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Pighouse Reply with quote

Anyone have a picture of the pighouse? :shock:
Spring Green

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She told me where it was, but I've not gotten around to snapping a photo. I think it's been redone since it was first built, though. hmmm. I'll have to remember it sometime, and go looking for it. Now I feel like I've got a mission!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: