Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Rose and Gertrude Pauson house
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think ascending the grand stairs calls out for appropriate accompaniment, perhaps the triumphal march from "Aida" or the greatest hits from Palenque.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a single work of music can be found to accompany a video tour of the property, from entry to departure -- like the Pink Floyd album that supposedly syncs with a portion of "The Wizard of Oz" ?

SDR
Unbrook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Pauson House Reply with quote

Were the draperies specified by Wright. Just think-if those draperies were never there, the house might still be standing. I never realized how un-Wright they really are. They stop the space at the window. Without them the eye would continue to the horizon. I was always captivated by the horizontal strip!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip ? The interrupted horizontal muntin (?) in the strip of glass between the french doors has alway intrigued me. I imagine a single length of glass there was just too much to manage, technically ? I like the effect, anyway.

The drapes can't have been intended for sun, as the living room faces north. And there were certainly no nosy neighbors nearby !

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been noted the sisters had tastes that differed...could the drapes have been a compromise to allow the more traditionally leaning Gertrude to feel comfortably sequestered from the blackness of night and the creatures that move in it? On a cloudy or moonless night, the window wall would become a series of black mirrors.
A traditionalist might also just believe a window requires a curtain....Muriel Sweeton was of that mind even though no neighbors had clear views into her house.
Sun control? The late morning sun would have been strong on the house's East facing long axis.
Could the windows and doors have been drafty or cold on windy days? Ours did and do not have weather stripping....some units can have a draft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86
Page 86 of 86

Jump to: