Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Virtual tour of the Jester House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Virtual tour of the Jester House Reply with quote

The good folks over at PrairieMod posted a link to a great virtual tour of the unbuilt FLW design for the Jester House.

David
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Puts BBP's version to shame.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a fascinating examination of Jester, among many other buidlings, by Wright and others, read Lionel March (who owns R M Schindler's How House) and Philip Steadman's "The Geometry of Environment." It was published in 1974 by MIT, so I might be hard to come by, but for those interested in the geometry underlying great architecture, it's worth the search.
FTA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that BBP's version is actual, not virtual. If you've not been in Pfeiffer's house, it is remarkably woven together and playfully inviting; full of spatial surprises.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two things I find disturbing about Pfeiffer are the change of scale and the reduction of the entire structure to a single material.
Deke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very compelling design, but a lot of work for a one bedroom home. And where's the guest bath? Where's the storage? Too bad they didn't have curved plate glass back then I'm sure he'd have designed a sliding glass wall for each unit instead of the multiple glass doors.

Deke
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments about BBP's building of the "Jester" plan. I have been at the house several times. I agree that it deviates from the original, but I find it quite suited to the Arizona desert. If memory serves, there are three "pods". The first is the living room - quite large. The next circle contains two bedrooms ( I think this is correct ) and the next smaller circle contains the kitchen. It is a fine 'indoor-outdoor' experience. No doubt, if built today the materials used would be different. I'm sure cost, to BBP and his father, who shared the house with him, was of importance. If I was doing this I certainly would have kept the 'water fall' feature - or at least installed a pool, but it probably was not even considered, since T-W has a pool on the property.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: