Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Who were the "best" apprentices ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Peterson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Liebermann Reply with quote

SDR,

You might check Dan's own site or a page on my own site for Dan's work;

http://www.ecoliebhabitat.com/

http://www.deliberate-design.net/projects_in_concert_with_other_architects.htm

Dan is still practicing, but just as it was with Jack Hillmer, projects are few and far between.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Barry ! I know it was there somewhere.

SDR

PS -- Barry kindly sent along this article, as well.

http://www.evekushner.com/writing/?p=176
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I have never heard of Jorn Utzon being connected to Taliesin before. Elizabeth Kassler's list does not include him, and considering that he designed one of the most famous buildings on the planet, it would be odd for her to have overlooked him. But I do agree that Wally Cunningham's work is noteworthy. He's one of the best post-FLW apprentices that I know of.

SDR, you are right: Paul is Aaron's best work! Beautiful house. I would like to see more photos if possible.
KevinW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: PAUL HOUSE Reply with quote

The Paul house is so tiny, and now so filled in with foliage, photographing is very difficult. Another thing is that the Pauls, who are in their 90's are extremely private and frail. Aaron had built a small, but lovely studio in front of the house for Mr. Pauls mother. This was done in the early 1960's. It is done with every bit the same care as the house. It has a built in couch / bed with typical usonian shelving with indirect lighting. The kitchen is small but functional.
I used to visit them fairly regularly, but seeing how difficult is was just for them to get to the phone, I just send letters now.
before Aarons house in Los Altos was sold and demolished, he transplanted many of his plants at the Paul House. The Pauls told me they could not imagine their lives if Aaron was never a part of it, they loved their Architect.
archfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Friends of Kebyar Journal, Volume 23 (sometime in 2006) featured Nari Gandhi's work:

http://www.kebyar.com/journal_index.htm
Michael Hawker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Editor of Friends of Kebyar, I guess I should add:

We, Friends of Kebyar, have just published a 56-page Journal on Nari Gandhi. I have been receiving some amazing comments about what I have put together, even high praise from Art Dyson, another hero of mine. The Journal was well received at the 75th Anniversary Reunion of the Taliesin Fellowship just held this past week.

The Nari Gandhi Journal is available for purchase at the Friends of Kebyar website www.kebyar.com.

Perhaps I am a bit biased, having poured over 1500 volunteer hours over 2 years to do the journal, but I think this is a great record and celebration of Nari Gandhi's life and work. It is perhaps one of the best journals we have put out.

I encourage everyone to subscribe and enjoy.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back Who were the best apprentices thread post outage.

search terms: apprentice, fellow, fellowship

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: