Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Who were the "best" apprentices ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:

Hillmer's Ludekens, Stoller (Browning)

I haven't seen this photo in years! Good, honest architecture stands the test of time and always trumps derivation, style, and a lack of original ideas.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the Ludekens' living room terrific, but the original kitchen (remodeled out of existence) was one of the best rooms of the century. The same owners who redid the kitchen, also replaced the marvelous concrete-walled bath with wood sinks with wall paper and standard fixtures, and took out the massive eucalyptus from the court to make room for a hot tub. Nothing good lasts forever. But I would say that Hillmer ranks with the best of FLW's apprentices.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay -- here are the other four photos of Ludekens which architect Parker published:

Fine Homebuilding published an illustrated article on the house some years ago, with a cutaway perspective showing construction of the diamond-section roof elements, and a list of the finish materials, among other things. The magazine has favored us at other times with similar articles on Lautner's early Mauer house, and on John Schweikher's interesting tin-roofed barn of a retirement home in the Southwest.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some of Mr Parker's own work, following a portrait, again in photos by Ezra Stoller.

The material palette is rich, with block or stone and wood; some of the interiors are highly developed.
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a Google of 'Ludekens Hillmer' and here are a couple of links that came up with some interesting photos (not all Ludekens):

http://tinyurl.com/2apvwz

http://tinyurl.com/yo7d9x

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, the Parker houses are wonderful. Unfortunately, the off-center A-frame, third from the top, was demolished. In TnGuy's second link, there is an interior of that house showing the staircase. Great building. The top and bottom photos on SDR's post are of Parker's own house. He later built an even grander place, which was a HB Pacesetter.

TnGuy, I have the book that the second of your links shows. A test: can you name the Aaron Green design in that lot of photos? It was a great house in West Hollywood on Kings Road just up the street from Schindler's home and studio. The owner dismissed attempts to save it, had it demolished and replaced with an apartment building.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the room with fireplace, green superstructure and yellow (?) ceiling is Aaron Green. Is THAT the Kings Road house ? This elusive beast has been mentioned tantalizingly once before, on another site, with no satisfactory resolution. Thanks for the hint.

There is a sequence of half a dozen shots of Mr Parker's own house, from the ground to the roof-top gloriette/studio, in "You and Architecture."

Thanks for the links, TnGuy. There's some treasure in there. So glad most of the Hillmer material appeared intact. . . or in tact, as they are saying now !

SDR
KevinW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: AGG Reply with quote

Mr. Grant, that would be the former Reif Residence by My Leibermeister, Aaron the Great, correct?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the name of the client, but it is the fifth picture in the series, the one with the huge fireplace. But the color scheme is not green and yellow. The fireplace is natural brick of a golden hue, and the ceiling is unfinished wood. It is one of Aaron's finest works, but that didn't stop the owner from demolishing it. That was the fate of the entire street, once home to some very impressive houses, now just apartments and condos. The Dodge house by Irving Gill was just a couple lots to the north. I'm not sure of the relationship to David Dodge, but it was the same family. The saving grace of the loss of the Dodge house is that it spurred the creation of the Los Angeles Conservancy, which has put a stop to that sort of uncivilized behavior ... more or less.
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reif Reply with quote

Yes, that is indeed the former Reif House, I thought it burned down. Another AGG house south, is the Anderson Residence in Malibu, on the ocean. Do not know the status.
I sure miss Aaron, a book about him is in the works. I am working on an article about my time with Aaron for the revamped Fellows Journal.
The Reif House was featured in House and Home in 1957, same pics, as H.B. not surprising do to the Gordon / Norcross marriage.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a Malibu house by Aaron, but there is no mention of it in the Gebhard/Winter Los Angeles guide. But then they also did not include a Green house in, I believe, La Caņada-Flintridge, which, when I saw it, was in mint condition. My favorite Green house is Bartholomew, featured in the October 1959 issue of HB devoted to FLW, page 214. Where is that? It looks like Woodside, but there is no reference to the locale. If I had the scratch, that's one house I would love to own.
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: bartholomew Reply with quote

The Bartolomew house is in Los Altos Hills. It was for sale last year for 3.8 million. While much of the original home is intact, it has been enlarged greatly by former apprentices Bill Patrick and Dan Liebermann. As originally built, yes it was quite dramatic for its size, also one of my favorites. One of Aarons first projects when he and Wright opened the S.F. digs, the Paul Residence is still my fave. The Pauls are in their 90's and still live there, everything in place as seen in the House Beautiful. About the only thing they have changed is perhaps the lightbulbs.
dkottum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bartholomew and Paul houses are perfect examples of extraordinary spaces that may be created in a very small house, using Wrightian principles. They also show the importance of the landscape around the house as an extension of living space. Has the Paul floor plan been published, or would anyone have it to share?

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake
Michael Hawker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic: FLW Apprentices work

Perhaps one method to classify "apprentices" is to group them according to the following:
A) Those who worked with Wright while at Oak Park
B) Those who worked with Wright at Taliesin prior to the Fellowship (pre-1933)
C) Those apprentices from 1933 to 1959 (Begin of Fellowship to when Wright died)
D) Taliesin Fellowship apprentices from 1959 and beyond

Most everyone has named the biggies. Don't forget these following architects who have done some interesting work after their time with Wright:
1) Paolo Soleri
2) Peter Berndtson (mainly in the Pittsburgh area)
3) Nari Gandhi (all in India, mainly near Mumbai)
4) Daniel Liebermann
They all fall into the category 3 noted above. I think also Jorn Utzon spent time at Taliesin before doing his great work, but I haven't found confirmation of him attending and studying with Wright.

I also like Wallace Cunningham's work (category D above). Someone else mentioned William Bernoudy of St. Louis.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas, Mr Hawker. Welcome to you !

I'd certainly like to see more of Paul http://www.agaarchitects.com/pages/residential/single_family/res_paul.html and more of the work of the archtitects that M Hawker and others have mentioned. Nari Gandhi has escaped me completely. Sausalito Fellow Barry Peterson has a links page http://www.deliberate-design.net/art_and_architectural_links.htm on his site http://www.deliberate-design.net/ with a Northern California Taliesin Fellows page. Dan Liebermann's fascinating work isn't there but I've seen it previously, I think. Barry ?

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: