Romotow

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Romotow

Post by peterm »

https://romotow.com/

https://www.curbed.com/2018/8/28/177907 ... le-romotow

This is an ingenious design. The bad news? Pricing starts at $350,000.00!
Last edited by peterm on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Really neat concept! The locking mechanism is a critical component when transporting this I would imagine.
One wonders if the generative idea came from an object the designer knew well....I have a 1960's pocket reader's magnifying glass and a current day thumb drive that work on this principal at a much smaller scale.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I can buy two of the largest Airstreams for that and have a design that both cool _and_ classic ... ;-)
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Seems unnecessarily complex just to haul around a porch. Likely to be plumbing problems eventually.

For $1.75M you could get a van with a garage. Click on "Class A" in the Curbed article. Or you could just ask: "Siri, give me a list of nearby Alamo Rent-a-Car outlets."

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'd be happy to have the units be rectangular instead of rounded -- if that would save a hundred grand or so ?

:lol:

I like the floating steps. Reminds me of a movie I saw, where a chrome-plated alien space cruiser comes down to earth, hovering above the surface and lowering a set of separate prismatic treads . . .

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Imagine the legal consequences when you clobber somebody (e.g. that woman in the YouTube clip) or somebody's car positioning the thing, or forget to position it before driving off.

SDR

Post by SDR »

peterm

Post by peterm »

LOL!

wjsaia

Post by wjsaia »

DRN wrote:Really neat concept! . . . One wonders if the generative idea came from an object the designer knew well....
For some, this sweet design might elicit visions of Charles Deaton’s 1963 Sculptured House on Genesee Mountain in Colorado, which was featured so prominently in Woody Allen’s 1973 hit movie Sleeper that it has since become known also as the Sleeper House.

Personally I’d say that, in fairness for the steep price that is being asked, the base model Romotow at least should be offered equipped with, as viewers of Allen’s futuristic movie will remember being so centrally highlighted in the Sleeper house, a built-in *. ( oops . . . trying a different tactic now: :D ) O-R-G-A-S-M-A-T-R-O-N.

Oh no . . . not THIS again . . .

But . . . but . . . I . . . only wanted . . . to . . .

You can Google all this--it's in Wikipedia, even . . .

WJS