Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Another novel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Another novel Reply with quote

Author T. C. Boyle is writing a new novel about FLW. He is best known (to me, anyway) as the author of "The Road to Wellville" set in John Harvey Kellogg's sanatorium in Battle Creek, Mi. It was made into a movie in 1994. He seems to do pretty extensive research for his historical novels. I haven't read any, but I'm interested now that I've started reading about them.

I don't know how sympathetic he'll be with the FLW character in his novel (he tries to emphasize in his accompanying notes that the fictional character is not the historical person). This entry from the forum on his website (http://www.tcboyle.com/) doesn't bode well:

Yes, the new novel, one-third finished, will deal with another of the twentieth century's egomaniacs--FLLW and his women. Its title keeps shifting, though. I wanted to call it Taliesin, but realized that I might run into legal troubles because this is trademark name, though one could argue that it is also a place and destination on the map. We shall see. Truth Against the World is FLLW's motto and is currently the working title. That may change though in the course of the writing. And yes, Mud, I do live in the man's first California house, built in 1909. And yes, Dayan, I could be drifting toward The Inner Circle territory, but to avoid repeating myself have devised a devilish (and I hope entertaining) structure for the book. It will be both funny and tragic. Just like everything else I do. Or mostly, anyway. TCB.

The Inner Circle is a novel involving Alfred Kinsey.

His house is the George C. Stewart house. I found these links:
http://www.stewarthousefoundation.com/shf/
http://tinyurl.com/285aoy

I'm keeping an open mind until it comes out, and meanwhile I'll try one of his other books.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quote is insteresting: "Truth Against the World is FLLW's motto...." This is often brought up by writers on Wright. But the fact is Truth Against the World was the Lloyd Jones family motto, which FLlW modified to the much less combative Truth is Life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: