Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Pigmented Wood Finish Question for the Davenport House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharding

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Pigmented Wood Finish Question for the Davenport House Reply with quote

The poplar wood trim in the Davenport House has a pigment in the finish. We had extensive testing on it. There is no oil residue indicating that the wood was stained. In the FLW Ladies Home Journal Article "Small House with Lots of Room in It" FLW stated "No paint, no stain". The history of the wood trim finish is as follows:

1. Original finish with pigment.

2. Shellac.

3. Shellac turns black with time.

4. Previous owner refinsishes wood back to what they thought was the orginal. Incompetent painter adds black paint to varnish for a "restored" finish system on all wood trim. Result is that all wood trim looks like it has a black paint finish.

5. Wood is chemically stripped by my wood refinsher as part of the 2004 restoration.

6. Wood finish is analyzed by two different companies. Conclusion wood had pigment in the finish, but was not stained with an oil based stain. Original finish is unknown.

Any thoughts on the above as to what FLW was doing in 1901. Pigmented wax? Recently I found original finish with shellac underneath wood trim that was added in 1931. I will have this tested. Who is the pre-eminet company in the US to analyze the finish? Thanks.
Glenn Davis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Wright Wood Finishes, ca. early 1900's Reply with quote

I'm not sure who the pre-eminent company would be. However, as an architect I was impressed with the scholarship of these two papers by Pamela Kirschner, a recent Kress Fellow with the New York State Bureau of Historic Sites, Peebles Island Resource Center. Ms. Kirsch has been involved in restoration efforts at the D. D. Martin house and Graycliff.

http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/wag/1998/WAG_98_kirschner.pdf

http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/wag/1999/WAG_99_kirschner.pdf

Since the Martin project was of roughly the same period as the Davenport Residence, her knowledge and experience might be of some help.

Good luck.
MattCline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran into something like this with the Westcott house. It was built in 1907/08, but I bet the situation is close enough to at least give you some guideance. I would contact the project's architect, Lauren Burge and see if she can help. She is a restoration architect and she speciallized in paint and stain finished.

To keep her e-mail off the spam scanners, I will just refer you to her web site.

http://www.cmbarchitects.com/

Good luck!

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
D. Shawn Beckwith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Testing materials Reply with quote

I am the Project manager for the Westcott House restoration. From consulting with Schooley Caldwell Associate Architects and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects over the course of this project and historical restorations we have performed with the Ohio Historical Society the names that keep comming up as tried and true professionals in the industry for this type of analysis would be Ms. Sara Chase who Authored a NPS Preservation Brief on historical paint analysis and Mr. Frank Welsh.

I trust this is of assistance.
    D. Shawn Beckwith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Testing materials Reply with quote

I am the Project manager for the Westcott House restoration. From consulting with Schooley Caldwell Associate Architects and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects over the course of this project and historical restorations we have performed with the Ohio Historical Society the names that keep comming up as tried and true professionals in the industry for this type of analysis would be Ms. Sara Chase who Authored a NPS Preservation Brief on historical paint analysis and Mr. Frank Welsh.

I trust this is of assistance.
      MattCline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn! I knew you would have a line on this as well.

MC
      View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
      Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
      Page 1 of 1

Jump to: