usonian tile

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Post by Guest »

Speaking of bathrooms, anyone see the one at Taliesin West a few issues back in the Quarterly?

The article was about the recent renovations, so I assumed the bathroom shown was such. It is really wild in stainless steel. Wright was either a lot hipper than I ever imagined, or it's a modern addition, only added for "style".

Also, can someone please tell me with certainty if AC was added at TW before or after Wrights death? I can see him both resisting it to the end, or accomodating those who were maybe getting a little tired of camping. Did he himself start adding glass surfaces with or w/o AC as additional texture? or only as enclosures for AC?

KevinW

Taliesin West

Post by KevinW »

Regarding Taliesin West, the complex was never intended for year round use, but as it became headquarters for archives, Architects, etc... the need for it's current poor air conditioning was a reality. So, indeed that is a post FLLW addition.

The board and batten aluminum bathroom was in fact from the days of Mr. Wrights era, and the well researched renovation/restoration by Fellow Arnold Roy is a treat to examine.
KevinW