Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

I'm trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: I'm trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house Reply with quote

I have been trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house. I thought it was in WI, but it could have been MI. As I recall, it was in danger of being demolished & some guy bought it & I believe moved it to another location to restore it. The intriguing thing is that a few years later I read that the restorer committed suicide. Does this sound familiar? If so, I'm curious as to what happened to the house.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I don
Cherokee Red

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure its not the first time someone killed themselves because of a FLLW house....
Beth R.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we stayed at the Seth Peterson Cottage we learned that Mr. Peterson committed suicide as well. We are not sure if it was in the cottage or elsewhere.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: I'm trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house Reply with quote

I believe that the house you are trying to think of is the Arnold Jackson residence. It was an Erdman prefab originally built in the mid 50's on the west side of Madison, near Middleton, and was then moved to Beaver Dam, Wi. a number of years ago.

I saw the exterior of the house about 18 months ago, and talked briefly to the current owner, who completed the process of reassembling and restoring the house.

You can click on the link below for a photo of the house at its current location, and a bit more information. Hope that helps.

http://www.dgunning.org/architecture/Wisc/jackson.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conservancy helped to move the Duncan house, an Erdman prefab, from Wisconsin (or maybe Illinois) to Pennsylvania. They mention it in their newsletter, but I can't find a reference to it in the 1974 edition of Storrer. They also helped move Gordon from one site to another in Oregon. I'd never heard of any suicides in connection with either. Seth Peterson killed himself around the time his house was built; the story I'd heard was a broken engagement.

Peter
PJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: I'm trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house Reply with quote

Thanks. Looking at the picture, and hearing its history, I'm sure this is the house. The backyard elevation does look like the picture I recall seeing when reading the first story about the attempt to save the house. Under the circumstances, I suppose it's not surprising that there is no mention of what happened to the guy who started the process of saving it. The new owners have a beautiful house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: