Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Turkel House
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other notes: Near the Sullivan building is a wonderful church. Can't dredge up the name of the architect offhand, but it was someone prominent in the late 19th Century. Keep in mind that Kleinhans was the work of Eliel Saarinen; I believe Eero worked on it, but it is mostly his father's design. Eliel is one of the most overlooked designers of the 20th Century. There is a very simple Lutheran church in Minneapolis near Powderhorn Park that is absolutely masterful, on a par with FLW's work. Also, while in Canada, there is a wonderful Chinese restaurant, one of the best I have ever been to, that you should not miss if you like Chinese food at all. Anyone in Buffalo can give you directions; it's quite well known.
pharding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliel Saarinen's work in Finland is also absolutely wonderful. While searching for Alvar Aalto's Studio in Helsinki, I stumbled across a well designed school that was quite striking. Later I learned that the architect was Eliel Saarinen.

Our firm does a lot of religious architecture. Two of the top five best examples of religious examples architecture in the US were designed independently by Eliel Saarinen and his son Eero in Columbus, Indiana.
Pat Mahoney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Church near Guaranty building in Buffalo Reply with quote

The church is St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral designed by Richard Upjohn in 1849.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: