Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Need an arch. to design my house
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Sutton - congratulations on your Usonian. You must be very proud, and very happy with how your design has come out. Truly, you will be reaping the rewards of such a design, and "in spades" I might add. Well done.

Kim, perhaps you might consider selecting one of FLWs Usonian designs, and gently "massaging" it to achieve a plan which will suit you. I am in the process of building a modified Usonia #1 (Jacobs1, 1936) and you can see what I've done at http://4sure.co.nz/nzonia ("nzonia" is a play on FLWs Usonia, the abbreviation for New Zealand, and the fact that NZ has often been referred to as "Godzone" or "God's own" country.)

Frank built over 50 usonians, and while many are similar, the styles (L-shaped vs Inline) vary substantially. There are even 2-story Usonians, and after the war, when skilled labour became expensive, Frank created the "Automatic Usonian" which relied on less labour in the field, and used Concrete Blocks (albeit, custom built ones) for the majority of the structural elements.

I think, you will find a design of his which you can modify to your own purposes, without destroying the features, outlook and aspect the originals had. To my way of thinking, even a modified Usonian is still going to be better than anything an architect of today could create for you.

In any case, having a very strong sense of what you want is the best bet: and if you can find a design which you like, the refining process becomes much shorter, and you are more likely to achieve success.

Good luck!

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
Collinst3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Mike Rust Reply with quote

Mike Rust--former head of Residentail Design for Taliesin (left several years ago because he was fed up) designed our wright-inspired home and does business all over the US. Our home is in Ohio and Mike works in Arizona.

His website is www.rust-architect.com. Our home is at the top of the home page and in the gallery under Collins home.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Collins Home Reply with quote

Mr. Collins, you have a beautiful home. One can certainly see FLW influences at work here. Mission accomplished!

Pdean

Dallas, TX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: