Need an arch. to design my house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Mr. Sutton - congratulations on your Usonian. You must be very proud, and very happy with how your design has come out. Truly, you will be reaping the rewards of such a design, and "in spades" I might add. Well done.

Kim, perhaps you might consider selecting one of FLWs Usonian designs, and gently "massaging" it to achieve a plan which will suit you. I am in the process of building a modified Usonia #1 (Jacobs1, 1936) and you can see what I've done at http://4sure.co.nz/nzonia ("nzonia" is a play on FLWs Usonia, the abbreviation for New Zealand, and the fact that NZ has often been referred to as "Godzone" or "God's own" country.)

Frank built over 50 usonians, and while many are similar, the styles (L-shaped vs Inline) vary substantially. There are even 2-story Usonians, and after the war, when skilled labour became expensive, Frank created the "Automatic Usonian" which relied on less labour in the field, and used Concrete Blocks (albeit, custom built ones) for the majority of the structural elements.

I think, you will find a design of his which you can modify to your own purposes, without destroying the features, outlook and aspect the originals had. To my way of thinking, even a modified Usonian is still going to be better than anything an architect of today could create for you.

In any case, having a very strong sense of what you want is the best bet: and if you can find a design which you like, the refining process becomes much shorter, and you are more likely to achieve success.

Good luck!
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

Collinst3

Mike Rust

Post by Collinst3 »

Mike Rust--former head of Residentail Design for Taliesin (left several years ago because he was fed up) designed our wright-inspired home and does business all over the US. Our home is in Ohio and Mike works in Arizona.

His website is www.rust-architect.com. Our home is at the top of the home page and in the gallery under Collins home.

Good luck.
Tony Collins

Collins Home

Post by Guest »

Mr. Collins, you have a beautiful home. One can certainly see FLW influences at work here. Mission accomplished!

Pdean

Dallas, TX.