Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Usonian House In Ann Arbor, Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrant wrote:
The Melvin Maxwell Smith House is one of FLW's best Usonians. Mrs. Smith recently died in her late 90s. She wrote a book about the experience of building and living in the house. There is another masterpiece in nearby Bloomington Hills, the Affleck House, which may be open for tours. It is quite spectactular.

Does anyone know what the book written by Mrs. Smith was called.

I would love to contact her son. He worked with my Dad many years

ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is called "Building A Dream: The Sara Smith Story" by Kathryn Watterson. Its a wonderful book about two fascinating people. Unfortuantly their son (their only child) died recently, as did Mrs. Smith. The house is open occasionally by nearby Cranbrook. A wonderful house.
Bill C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Bio of Mrs. M. M. Smith Reply with quote

The Sara Smith biography is available from The Taliesin Book Store

for $20.00

Bill C.
hertz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haddock house was built under the supervision of Charles Montooth, reprising Wright's (unbuilt) Roy Petersen house (Racine, 1941), which came from Wright's (unbuilt) Edith Carlson house in Superior, Wisconsin.

Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an address for the Haddock house in Ann Arbor? Its one of FLW's underated designs.
hertz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haddock house was built under the supervision of Charles Montooth, using the desigtn of Wright's (unbuilt) Roy Petersen house (Racine, 1941), which came from Wright's (unbuilt) Edith Carlson house in Superior, Wisconsin.

Mark Hertzberg
guestnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As such, I would not count it as a "Wright house", but instead as an influenced project of interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee Skippee for you!
geraghty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Roy Petersen house Reply with quote

I live in Racine, WI. Roy Petersen was my great uncle. My brother is big on architecture and just yesterday happened upon Mark's book. We had no idea our uncle had these house plans. It appears to be around the time he and my aunt made the decision to move out west, therefore never building it. I'm picking up the book today for my parents. If anyone has any more information on this house, floor plan, pictures of the Haddock house, please let me know.

Thanks!

Colleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: