Guggenheim museum

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Luc Cazanave

Guggenheim museum

Post by Luc Cazanave »

where the ducts for ventilation, heating and air-conditioning in the Guggenheim Museum run? the cut-outs do not reveal any false ceilings and on the plans there is practically no technical vertical circulation.

SDR

Re: Guggenheim museum

Post by SDR »

Luc, we recently discovered Taliesin drawings of Wright projects online. I've called up the Guggenheim file; perhaps among these 792 images will be found the answer to your question ? Unfortunately the drawings are collected in no consistent order:

https://library.artstor.org/#/search/gu ... =1;size=48

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image 7 is a plan of the basement lecture room; at the top of the drawing are a large machinery room and two rooms labeled "air conditioning." This of course does not answer your question---but it suggests where in the building vertical chases might originate.

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

SDR

Post by SDR »

726 (specifications)
Last edited by SDR on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When I lived in NYC, I often went to Guggenheim in all seasons. The interior was always perfectly comfortable, so however the heat and A/C were delivered, it was efficient. There is a large element that is perfectly vertical, not ramped, that contains elevators, stairs and such. That would be the obvious place. Of course, you must be certain you are looking at as-built plans; over the 17-year period it took to make the thing, a lot of drawings and alterations were made.
Last edited by Roderick Grant on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. All the drawings have a 1943 project number; the latest drawing I saw was dated 10/59, a revision of the sprinkler system in the carpentry shop . . .

Starting at image # 717, the project number changes to 4727.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

The last few dozen images are drawings for the annex to the building, at the southeast corner of the lot.

The Artstor image numbers listed above are ones containing elements of the HVAC systems.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

These are the two isometric views in the collection showing parts of the HVAC system.

Image 4305.276

Image 4305.378

SDR

Post by SDR »

This drawing for the brass or bronze plaque set into the pavement in front of the entrance to the museum is one of a half-dozen such designs, sprinkled at random throughout Artstor's Guggenheim file. This one is marked there "use this." The variations consist mostly of different inspiring mottos; a couple of them include the exhortation to "respect the masterpiece."

Does anyone read Greek ?

These two drawings for the cornerstone remind us that Mr Wright wished to honor the contractor of his masterpiece. The anomaly that catches my eye is the italicized N. Another drawing shows a few letters, including this one, at large scale; the N is slanted there as well. I can't imagine what could have inspired this oddity . . .

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The Greek says "Aristophanes". The Quotations Page says the quote is from The Wasps.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh-heh. Thanks, Reidy. I should have screen-grabbed the other plaque designs when I passed them.

I'd gladly put the Guggenheim drawing images in some kind of order, if Artstor would be interested in having volunteer help.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

So, from the iso drawings it appears that major supply ducts are formed into the concrete and spiral with the ramp. It was a great question to ask. Never occurred to me.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. There are a couple of plan drawings in which a hot-air duct is shown circling around a ramp, starting at the supply end and tapering perfectly evenly from a broad width to a narrow point, c. 330 degrees later, with registers placed periodically along the way.

S

Luc Cazanave

Post by Luc Cazanave »

Thank you for all these proposed tracks that I will explore carefully.
After examining the plans in my possession I was well considering a circuit of this kind.

But when I consider the complexity and the importance of these networks in our contemporary (inorganic?) constructions, problems that are almost always solved in the same way (false ceilings and gigantic false floors), I am particularly interested in the solutions of the organic way.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I didn't notice indication of how the ducts in the Y-shaped ramp slabs taper (as shown in plan). I assume the diagonal bottom "leaf" of the slab construction is structural, and would therefor presumably not want to diminish in size just to provide an increasingly constricted triangular opening . . .

S