St. Mary's Church by TAA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

St. Mary's Church by TAA

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

A link to Facebook photos of the church:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/SaveModernA ... e_internal

A link to a previous thread:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 69c6aa5065

It is a good building worth saving, if a use can be found.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

One of the church council's members who was on the Building Cmte that worked with Wes later had him design and build a house for him also in Alma, MI.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Is the location of the house known?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I just found it just west of town center:
490 N Luce Rd
Alma, MI 48801
43.381692, -84.685962

It backs up to the Pine River Country Club golf course.

When I originally found it the perf-windows on the garage door were what caught my attention and caused me to put the car in reverse (much to the chagrin of my wife).

Bumper sticker warning: "I brake for Wright architecture"

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

From the Google air, the Luce Rd. house looks like quite an establishment. It would be interesting to see Wes with triangles instead of circles. Unfortunately, only the church (itself one of Wes' best) is included in the Rattenbury book.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I checked Historic Aerials for the site. The house first appears in 1972, and an addition is made between 2013 and 2016, presumably when it was reroofed with standing seam metal. The original footprint was an angular 'Y'; the addition placed a leg on the right hand branch of the 'Y'.

It would be interesting to see a plan...probably at the Avery now.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Dan,
I was under the impression that only FLW material was transferred to Avery and all the apprentice material was retained at TWest.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Paul sends his pics of the church. I've made a panorama of two of them. I see glazing reminiscent of "House on the Mesa"/Stanley Marcus/Walker . . .

Image . . . Image

Image . . . Image

DRN

Post by DRN »

I was under the impression that only FLW material was transferred to Avery and all the apprentice material was retained at TWest.
When I visited the Avery in May of 2019 to see the Sweeton and Spencer files (a visitor is permitted to see two files per session), I asked about TAA work. TAA work is at the Avery.

It was noted that the TAA files in AZ were in total larger than Wright's archive...larger drawing sets, many more repetitive prints, more shop drawings, correspondence etc., as one would expect with the modern practice of architecture. The Archives and Avery had to be selective about what was archived to avoid overwhelming storage space in NYC with tangential materials or insignificant work. All original drawings, particularly presentation and construction sets were archived of major projects and houses by TAA from 1959 to the dissolution of Taliesin Architects in the early 2000's, particularly those projects under the direction of former apprentices to Wright himself, or projects that involved alterations to Wright designed projects. Minor projects such as small utilitarian tenant fit-outs, or alterations to non-Wright or non-TAA work (bread and butter jobs in the later years, mostly worked on by students under TAA staff direction) were not archived at Avery.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Dan,
Sounds like a reasonably intelligent solution concerning that there are always limits on available space. Better to have them there at Avery than at TWest.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, do you have images of the interior?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two peeks at the Luce Road house. I see some large book-matched perfs (a la Hagan), and remarkably minimal flashing of roof to masonry ? (Too bad the garage door that Paul spied isn't closed !)

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Roderick Grant wrote:Paul, do you have images of the interior?
I should have but, they are not with the exteriors.

I did notice that the original leaded glass skylight had been covered over with roofing material sometime after my initial visit in 2005 and a visit when I stopped by on
my way to the annual Alden Dow Housewalk some years later. It was on the later
visit that I found the Wes Peters house. Mark Oberman was with me and he is looking
for his photos of that house.