"Reading" the only known photo of Julian Carlton

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

"Reading" the only known photo of Julian Carlton

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

My essay is now up on www.wrightinracine.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Would "Negro" have been a pejorative term in 1914 ? Perhaps not:

"Marcus Garvey used the word in the names of black nationalist and pan-Africanist organizations such as the Universal Negro Improvement Association
(founded 1914), the Negro World (1918), the Negro Factories Corporation (1919), and the Declaration of the Rights of the Negro Peoples of the World (1920)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

It would have been in that context. Why refer to race at all in that situation, but it was repeatedly done in news accounts and Wright’s..
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

An idealized view of the journalist's moral code is admirable; I admire it myself. Unfortunately, the practice of revealing the race of a perpetrator---when
it is one of the racial "minorities" (as viewed by a dominant one), anyway---is a temptation apparently beyond the (self)control of the average editor . . .?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Nevertheless�perhaps your point is that a photo makes a word unnecessary . . .

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Do we know for a fact that this photo comes from after his arrest? It might be an old snapshot that some reporter obtained by means known only to reporters.

JimM

Post by JimM »

I missed Marks December post and was not aware of Ron McCrea's passing until visiting this link. Although we never met and only had a few conversations, I will forever appreciate him asking to use my Taliesin l layout for his book.

An enviable career and many endeavors, we are especially grateful for your definitive accounting of Taliesin... RIP Ron.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I would be hard pressed to imagine the photo not being from after his arrest. Why would he have been photographed prior to that, especially since he seems to be in a courtroom. Do we have documentation, no, but I think that is a very reasonable thing to surmise given the apparent setting, his demeanor, and the date of publication.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, "reading" is in quotes, isn't it . . . :D

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I remember Ron McCrea posting a wonderful early photo of several men working in the garden at Taliesin. There was speculation that one of them was Julian Carlton. I’ve searched but I can’t find it.
Anyone?

Update edit: I just found this.

Could this be Julian Carlton?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I'd guess that, as butler, Carlton didn't work in the garden.