Video: Bradley House - Kankakee, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Bradley House - Kankakee, IL

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Five of the first group of 20th century houses - Bradley, Hickox, Willits, Davenport and Henderson - represent a stunning, quantum leap in FLW's design technique from the 1899 Husser Mansion and the rest of the 1890s. It is as if he hit a brick wall, and took a sharp turn, inventing in one fell swoop an entirely new aesthetic. Even Willey was not quite as spectacular a reinvention. There were glimpses in the '90s - Charnley, Harlan, Winslow Carriage House, Rollin Furbeck - but the early houses of the new century were a major departure from the direction he was going earlier.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I just caught the second half of a video I didn't know existed, "An American Home: The B Harley Bradley House" (2017), presented by Lakeshore PBS.

The portion I saw wove the remarkable story of three or four restoring owners who saved the residence---more than once---and its stable, in the years
after the Yesteryears restaurant closed, with the life and work of the architect, and with the modern history of Kankakee.

Photos show the property in sad disrepair, with much art glass missing and, later, with a 30-foot hole in its roof following a post-restoration fire. John
Eifler is one of the interviewees. I saw a couple of very brief shots of second-floor spaces . . .

A DVD is available. https://www.amazon.com/American-Home-Wr ... B07D44PGGZ $2.99 to watch for 48 hours

https://franklloydwright.org/making-an- ... ley-house/

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

One of many little treats from the video: this rare shot of Mr Wright in front of his bed/studio. One of our Taliesin experts will have to identify the era in which the building looked like this. Were there attic bedrooms at Taliesin II ?

JimM

Post by JimM »

Initially for Taliesin ll (circa 1915) there was not a second story. The main changes to the residence footprint included the new loggia and an extension beyond the porte cochere alongside the drive, but not as extensive shown in the photo. My guess is it was taken in the late 20's...