Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Video: Bradley House - Kankakee, IL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Video: Bradley House - Kankakee, IL Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright Home - [3:57]

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five of the first group of 20th century houses - Bradley, Hickox, Willits, Davenport and Henderson - represent a stunning, quantum leap in FLW's design technique from the 1899 Husser Mansion and the rest of the 1890s. It is as if he hit a brick wall, and took a sharp turn, inventing in one fell swoop an entirely new aesthetic. Even Willey was not quite as spectacular a reinvention. There were glimpses in the '90s - Charnley, Harlan, Winslow Carriage House, Rollin Furbeck - but the early houses of the new century were a major departure from the direction he was going earlier.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just caught the second half of a video I didn't know existed, "An American Home: The B Harley Bradley House" (2017), presented by Lakeshore PBS.

The portion I saw wove the remarkable story of three or four restoring owners who saved the residence---more than once---and its stable, in the years
after the Yesteryears restaurant closed, with the life and work of the architect, and with the modern history of Kankakee.

Photos show the property in sad disrepair, with much art glass missing and, later, with a 30-foot hole in its roof following a post-restoration fire. John
Eifler is one of the interviewees. I saw a couple of very brief shots of second-floor spaces . . .

A DVD is available. https://www.amazon.com/American-Home-Wrights-Harley-Bradley/dp/B07D44PGGZ $2.99 to watch for 48 hours

https://franklloydwright.org/making-an-american-home-frank-lloyd-wrights-b-harley-bradley-house/

S
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of many little treats from the video: this rare shot of Mr Wright in front of his bed/studio. One of our Taliesin experts will have to identify the era in which the building looked like this. Were there attic bedrooms at Taliesin II ?

JimM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially for Taliesin ll (circa 1915) there was not a second story. The main changes to the residence footprint included the new loggia and an extension beyond the porte cochere alongside the drive, but not as extensive shown in the photo. My guess is it was taken in the late 20's...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: