Article: 10 Most Coveted Eichler Homes of 2019

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: 10 Most Coveted Eichler Homes of 2019

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

These houses are priceless. They make the typical "ranch" houses of the 50s look vapid.

SDR

Post by SDR »

"After teaming up with architecture firms and designers who aligned with his progressive and bold vision, Eichler Homes Inc. pioneered a style that was uniquely representative of post-war optimism in California."

Only three of the ten houses are identified as to their architect---Claude Oakland, in each case.

While the subject of the designers of these houses has not been entirely neglected, it remains, in my opinion, a largely unsung aspect in Eichler
studies. The fact that so many laymen assume that Eichler himself designed these houses is no doubt the misconception most in need of remedy;
giving the various architects their due---and in the process coming to a finer understanding of their differences and their similarities---would be of
benefit to the Eichler community, to its supporters and to the interested public as well.

https://www.eichlernetwork.com/article/ ... hler-homes

"Aligning himself with a stable of progressive, empathic architects�first the San Francisco firm of Anshen & Allen, then Jones & Emmons, later Claude Oakland . . ."

Were there really only three firms responsible for all Eichlers ?

https://www.midcenturyhome.com/category ... er-houses/

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, you are aware that there is a hefty book on Eichler, "Modernism Rebuilds the American Dream"? I didn't scrutinize the captions of all the houses in its 239 pages, but there seemed to be credit given to the various architects.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent. Your assignment over the holidays is to compile a list of all architects who designed Eicher homes. Results will be graded on accuracy, penmanship, and timely return. Footnotes optional; see Miss Grundy for room number. Thank you !

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Irregardless (as we used to say with a smile), Joseph Eichler has the distinction of having forged a unique connection between Wright's Usonian and
the prototypical MCM---with its opaque street facade, large areas of glass "out back," slab floor and tilted---or flat---roof plane. We like to contrast the
former with the latter; Eichler demonstrated that the former could, and did, inspire (the designers of) the latter . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

My introduction to real architecture was living in this Jones and Emmons Eichler in San Rafael, Ca. while in high school. And it was still 100 percent original, with its radiant heating and mahogany walls intact. The original exterior paint was the Eichler charcoal with off white trim and a burnt orange front door leading into the atrium. The original exotic Eckbo Pacific Rim modernist landscaping had filled in nicely (none of the terrible formal hedges seen here in the street view):

https://www.google.com/search?q=15+Ayal ... ent=safari

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Manny, Moe (the other one) and Jack designed all the Eichler homes, no matter what other claims may be made.
I send this ahead, because I wrote the list in Mandarin, and I am uncertain if you are proficient. You should receive the list by pigeon short with.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Box hedges and topiary should be outlawed.
The one common element in Schindler's architecture that I dislike is his use of hedges. I don't understand how one can be so expert in architecture, literally inventing new forms, and still landscape with box hedges.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It couldn't be, that . . . box hedges are so "architectonic" ?

Such hedges are quite difficult to find, either in Schindler's view drawings (the above being a rare exception) or
in early photos. Virtually all the view drawings contain more naturalistic shrubbery and foliage---with, of course,
some stylization.

A few site drawings, including the Pueblo Ribera, James E How, and Kings Road site plans, include what read as continuous rectilinear bands of foliage.

Many of these perform a function as suburban privacy screens---dense but compact foliage. In
some cases they might have been replaced by fences carrying vines or other plant materials ?

ImageImageImage

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A knee-high privet hedge flanking a walkway does not provide privacy.

It is obviously a matter of taste, and many people like hedges. I don't. Here in WeHo, privacy is ensured by 20' tall "hedges" of laurel or holly along the public sidewalk. That effectively creates, on the house side, a green wall, or garrison.