Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Lecture: Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Irving Gill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Lecture: Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Irving Gill Reply with quote

Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Irving Gill: Modern Architecture Emerges - [1:33:19]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm part of the way through this one. Photography becomes better when the lecturer starts showing her slides, and better still when the lens is suddenly refocused . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see more than one Mackintosh building of which I was not aware---and lots of detail about his career and the remainder of his life. Interesting that so little is known of his early years.

Also available on YouTube is a short and well-illustrated video on Hill House . . .

S
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Hill House. The first time I visited there I found the sense of all-encompassing design delightful and sort of more than one could take in -- very much like work of FLW and also Carlo Scarpa. Second time I visited I figured out it was a good idea to go slowly and keep looking longer to be able to absorb the subtlety.

Here's an odd thing -- apparently it's having moisture problems. Until repairs can be achieved they've clothed it in chainmail:

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/06/10/hill-house-box-carmody-groarke-charles-rennie-mackintosh-museum/
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackintosh, Schindler of the North, and a few decades earlier . . .? Schindler and Mackintosh as much-less-well-known also-ran/alternative early-modernist
crafters of buildings ? Color-blind but for the yellow range, we learn in Diane Kane's lecture video---Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh, four years his senior,
was Mackintosh's Marion Mahony/Charlotte Perriand, and the bringer of color to Mackintosh's "rich and strange" black and white world . . .

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hill House is magic. I especially like the entrance and stairway.
Let's all pray Hill House doesn't ever meet the fate of the Glasgow School of Art. Any news on that front? Will they try for another restoration, or is it beyond that?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Kane reports, in her lecture, that the jury is still out on that . . .

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: