Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: Inside San Francisco's only FLW building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Article: Inside San Francisco's only FLW building Reply with quote

Inside the only Frank Lloyd Wright building in San Francisco

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More detail and back-of-store photos than we've seen before. The tenant has introduced a free-standing clothing rack that echoes the radius of the nearest wall. I'm unclear on whether the existing walnut millwork has been modified or added to.

It is presumably a coincidence that the tenant's name includes the recognized architectural acronym AIA . . .

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the receipt transfer chute. Reminds me of J. C. Penney's back in Pipestone.
There the sales ladies (they were ALL ladies) had containers into which they put the order and payment, screwed it onto a cap that had castors,
yanked a cord, sending it along lines through the air to a mezzanine, where cashiers collected the money
and sent back the receipt and change to the sales lady (Mrs. Iola Sutter).
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaplan's clothing store in Port Chester, NY had such a system: twin (or triple ?) rails running up from sales counters, to an office high on one wall. A
miniature submarine or space capsule, like a silver amusement-park ride vehicle with latching door, was dispatched, where it click-click-clicked its way---
very rapidly---up, and then back again. Did the sales desks not have cash registers; was cash sent up to a central cashier, with the receipt and change
returned ? I suppose so. I was kept blissfully unaware of money and expense, in the main, as a kid, a parental choice which I suppose affects me to this day . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN supplies some nifty photos of the store, including back-of-house shots, taken in November of 2016.

. .

. .

SDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first photo, if I'm not mistaken, we see the interior of the street wall of the building; the white acrylic back-lighted squares occur in the same locations on
both sides of the wall--perhaps with a single lamp lighting each pair of panels simultaneously ?

Here's a close-up of one of the exterior panels; they are bas-reliefs . . .

https://www.archiweb.cz/cache/images/buildings/gallery/picture_2969_7.jpg-389x310-v-c-morris-gift-shop.jpg?algorithm=1&mtime=1307008839

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: