Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

new book: MIDWEST ARCHITECTURE JOURNEYS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: new book: MIDWEST ARCHITECTURE JOURNEYS Reply with quote

"There's poetry in these descriptions of our flat, fertile places, and reading them is a meditative way to wallow in Midwesternness. These stories are both a fantastic guide for lazy weekend road trips, and invitations for much deeper study into the Midwest's singular architectural legacy." --Carol Ross Barney, founder, Ross Barney Architects

https://beltpublishing.com/products/midwest-architecture-journeys
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard New York described as Midwestern.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm originally from Buffalo, New York which is more akin to the Midwest than to the eastern part of the state or New York City metro area. I think being the eastern most of the Great Lakes cities is historically responsible.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. To whom, for what ?

It does make sense, from architectural and other evidence, that Buffalo deserves a Midwest categorization . . . doesn't it . . .

As a former down-stater, I'd guess that there's a greater contrast between NYC and Buffalo that, say, SF and LA. (Frisco is a town in Texas, I recently learned.)

Oh, and this: Movie critic Mick Lasalle's list of twelve things an alien would learn about life on Earth, from watching movies, ends with this:

"12. San Francisco doesn't care if you live or die, but Los Angeles ? Los Angeles wants to kill you. We know this from film noir. In San Francisco, you always have a chance. In Los Angeles, it never ends well."

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1969, I drove from Los Angeles to New York City. As I crossed the Rockies, I felt the world close in on me, as I had on an earlier trip in 1964. Quite claustrophobic. The vast expanse of the Great Plains opened up just east of Denver, and continued all the way through Indiana (although I drove by night from Chicago to the Ohio boarder, so it's hard to say). Beginning in Ohio, the land seemed to become smaller. Odd way of saying it, but I cannot think of a more apt word. It continued to close in through Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Not at all the expanse of the true Midwest.

Years earlier, a friend from Trenton, NJ, whom I met in Hollywood, told of traveling the opposite way, from New Jersey to California. When he reached Kansas, he panicked, the enormity was so intimidating, just sky and horizon. There is a sense of spaciousness in the "fly-over" states that I have never felt in the "fly-to" states. It isn't just the flatness of the land, but an ineffable quality that seems to me absent toward the edges of the continent. According to geologists, North America emerged from the ocean first in southern Minnesota, and expanded round about from there, so the edges have always been somewhat "crinkled."

I haven't spent much time tooling around western New York, just a couple of trips to Buffalo with side trips to Rochester, so I cannot speak with much authority. Yet, I never thought of the territory as Midwestern, neither physically nor, heaven forfend, culturally.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, Los Angeles had better writers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: