Rob Barros' John Howe Documentary is now Available on disc

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Rob Barros' John Howe Documentary is now Available on disc

Post by DRN »

Not sure if this was publicized on Chat, but Rob Barros' John Howe documentary is now available for purchase on DVD and Blu-Ray.

https://johnhowemovie.com/product/john-howe-dvd-bluray

SDR

Post by SDR »

Are both the Blu-ray and the DVD provided on a CD ? I haven't had Blu-ray before; what hardware is employed ?

I asked for and received the DVD. Resolution issues aside (noticed mostly in the otherwise excellent typography), this is a work of the sort that one
hopes for and not often finds.

Mr Barros has done Howe proud. Persons who knew Jack Howe are given ample time to reminisce, we hear Howe's own voice in multiple interviews
and recorded comments---and the trove of drawings spread before the viewer provides "an embarrassment of riches." Graphic design, photography,
and music (by Rick Wakeman) are all above par. This is a class act.

No Wrightian's library should be without this film. As with Randy Henning's Aaron Green volume, this is a superior effort, and gives the observer more
than his money's worth, by a good margin. I was just delighted; master apprentice and designer/drafter/illustrator extraordinaire Howe finally gets his
due . . .

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

SDR wrote:Are both the Blu-ray and the DVD provided on a CD ? I haven't had Blu-ray before; what hardware is employed ?

I asked for and received the DVD. Resolution issues aside (noticed mostly in the otherwise excellent typography), this is a work of the sort that one
hopes for and not often finds.

Mr Barros has done Howe proud. Persons who knew Jack Howe are given ample time to reminisce, we hear Howe's own voice in multiple interviews
and recorded comments---and the trove of drawings spread before the viewer provides "an embarrassment of riches." Graphic design, photography,
and music (by Rick Wakeman) are all above par. This is a class act.

No Wrightian's library should be without this film. As with Randy Henning's Aaron Green volume, this is a superior effort, and gives the observer more
than his money's worth, by a good margin. I was just delighted; master apprentice and designer/drafter/illustrator extraordinaire Howe finally gets his
due . . .

S
I have the Blu-Ray version; Rob indicated that it doesn't have many of the resolution issues of the DVD.

I concur on the content. Worth the price just for the interviews and Howe voiceovers, as well as the wonderful render Rob had made of Howe's block house project. And who knew Rick Wakeman could be so wonderfully restrained! Proud to have contributed a few images and be a part of the final product ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

John

"I haven't had Blu-ray before; what hardware is employe

Post by John »

Blu-Ray technology has been around for a long time. I suggest you get a player. It will make everything you view look better. You can purchase a player for as little as $60 or as much as $500.
The cheaper ones work as well as the more expensive, just with fewer features.
I suggest you get the same brand as your HDTV set for compatibility.
Then enjoy Rob's great Documentary!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, John---that's what I needed to know.

Lastly, Rob's film makes the ideal companion to Hession and Quigley, "John H Howe, Architect" (U of Minnesota Press, 2015). The two sources complement
each other, each providing parts of the picture of Jack's life and work, with remarkably little overlap in material (thanks in part, of course, to their representing
two different media types, each with its unique strengths).

It appears that the film was compiled from sources gathered in the nick of time: Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer and Bill Krebes, who appear in the 2019 film, have
since passed away, and Lu Howe is captured in recorded conversation while her name is memorialized with a dedication in the book published four years
earlier.

S

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Mr. Barros has produced a masterpiece of knowledge for all interested in Organic Architecture, FLW, The Fellowship, et al. Several key individual were instrumental is assisting FLW to produce such a large volume of work. Jack, Wes, Gene, Ken, Cornelia, Lois, and creative productive people from each decade well into the early 1970's and the formation of TAA. I don't want to romanticize their lives, but my God, to be a creative person and live in that environment. Hard to grasp. Mr. Barros, FLW said it best " ....this gets you a cookie ! " Outstanding work. Our deep gratitude.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Blu-Ray discs are on their way to me. I look forward to an even more satisfying experience of this new film. Mr Wright's most important delineator, equalled only
by Marion Mahony (can we agree that this is so ?), has received his due in this decade, with the book from Hessian and Quigley and now with this documentary.

Wrightians who believe they have seen Howe's work in its entirety will be pleasantly surprised to find that there was still more to be seen, absorbed, and assayed . . .

https://johnhowemovie.com/product/john-howe-dvd-bluray

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I would add Davy Davison to that short list. His nighttime views of Capitol Times and Beth Shalom are spectacular.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. I have seen only his day and night views of the Lenkurt Electric Company . . .

In terms of quality and quantity, the pair named seem to be the stars of their respective eras.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Lenkurt! That's what I meant.
There is also the spectacular Monona Terrace Project.

SDR

Post by SDR »

While Mr Wright had other notable (if under-credited) drafters and illustrators---not least his own son, Lloyd---there is one hero of the Usonian period, and that would be Howe ?

In Rob's film we are told that Howe was taught to draw at Taliesin by Henry Klumb, and was instructed in perspective construction by Mr Wright himself.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bump