For sale: Foster House - Chicago, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: Foster House - Chicago, IL

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Watch out -- something funny happened to my computer when I opened that link. A pop-up ad with sound began, then all hell broke loose.

Anyway, we have earlier entries for this property; here's one from 2005, 18 months before I stumbled aboard this vessel. Did the low thread number -- like an ancient vanity plate on observed on Cape Cod, say:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=26

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=698

peterm

Post by peterm »

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Photo #8 is the first time I've seen a gothic arch in his work. Did he ever do any others?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Despite being labeled "Stephen A Foster Summer Cottage" in both Monograph 1 and in Taschen I, the text tells us that this house was intended for year-round use.

The exoticism present in some details was current in Wright's thinking c. 1900; the flared gable-end eaves here are also found in the Fred Jones summer house and boathouse and in the Bradley and Hickox residences.

A unique feature, not appreciated in photos, is the slight batter to the exterior walls of the house.

1987 photo © Tim Wittman

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Reidy, there is the unbuilt project (Jesse Baldwin, 1895, Mono 1/72) with a gothic arched entrance, and, oddly, FLW added a gothic bay on the east façade of the 1923 rebuilding of Nathan Moore House (Mono 4/248-256) even though the original Tudor design of 1895 (Mono 1/64-7) did not have anything predating Henry VIII.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I read somewhere that the bay window on Moore was part of the 1890s original. He had to sublet the design work because he didn't know enough about historical styles.

SDR

Post by SDR »

From the same photographer, a door to the 1894 Roloson houses exhibits a detail that would become a signature of the Arts and Crafts entrance door: a heavy sill beneath stained glass lites, the sill supported by multiple "rafter tails."

www.alamy.com/stock-photo-door-of-frank ... ml?p=63192

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Reidy, there was a bay on the Tudor version, located where the gothic bay is, but it was a shallower and wider construction of wood (as differentiated from the terra cotta of 1923) with non-gothic, Tudor windows.

SDR, that's the first time I have seen one of those doors. It appears to be the only original door (@ 3215 Calumet) that has not been tampered with, although I have my doubts about the windows.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Why is the house so cheap? Is this a bad neighborhood?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Pullman is not prime real estate. Not sure why. The neighborhood looks good. Houses are old, but seem to be cared for.

peterm

Post by peterm »

It is located in a fairly nice pocket of homes, but surrounded by blight. The property values there are low, and the location is far from Chicago proper, shopping, or cultural opportunities. The house needs much work, and I’m afraid most people think they would never see a return on their investment were they to later sell. Having said that, it’s an incredible opportunity, and it’s almost incomprehensible that it has yet to close. The lot is larger than many in Oak Park.

Someone should buy it, secure the roof and at least preserve it in its present condition.